"A first-time nightmare"!
Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas
Ship: Carnival Sensation
Cabin Type: Oceanview
Traveled As: Family (older children)
Reviewed: 7 years ago
Review SummaryMy wife, myself, our 16-year old son and his best friend all went on our very first cruise on the Carnival Sensation 6/26-30/07 to the Bahamas. My wife and I have been all over the Caribbean and internationally but we have always flown. Time to try out a short 4-day cruise to find out if we are cruise people or not.
Started out well, drove from Tampa to Port Canaveral without incident, check-in went fairly smooth , baggage got to us fairly late, around 5 PM. No problem as we familiarized ourselves with where things were, how to get around, and the apparently mandatory safety meeting on the hot, hot Lido deck. Hamburgers were very greasy, fries actually pretty good but the other prepared lunch looked even less appetizing. Cabin was to be expected, (boys were in the one next door) cozy, with a small but functional bathroom.
First the good news:
1) Waiter at our formal dinner was as friendly and attentive as could be. Even though we only went twice as the food was decent (lobster is always a welcome sight!) I tipped him $20 for his superior service.
2) Pizza was very good along with the adjacent deli sandwich area
3) The 80s show was very entertaining along with the adult comedians.
4) Bed was very comfortable, slept like a rock most nights
5) Played roulette and had a lot of fun with most of the dealers and players, but lost about $350 over 3 nights
6) Hit for about $250 on the slots at Atlantis in a little over an hour, made up for roulette
Now the fairly bad news:
1) Like we said before, the Lido deck food for the most part was less than appealing or tasty and the staff was for the most part not much better for service (appeared totally apathetic for the most part).
2) We saw kids as young as about six being watched by slightly older siblings/friends as late as after midnight, a lot of the kids not well behaved (run wild, run free!)
3) Didnt hit for jack on the ship slots
4) We will never go to the Bahamas again..Freeport is a dump and in Nassau we only went to Atlantis which was nice, but for us, we will take Aruba anytime for wonderful people, nightlife and shopping.
Now for the nightmare! Went to Atlantis resort for the day and paid the $100 each to use the facilities and pool (lazy river was amazing!). Left about 11:30 AM and got back around 8 PM and guess what? We had $850 missing the cabin safe from my wifes wallet. Now the REAL nightmare begins! Neither of us remembers exactly if we locked the safe, OK, if $850 is the price I pay for being stupid, so be it. Thank God my wifes expensive jewelry and watches were also not taken (too hard to hide I guess). The way Carnival treated us afterward is a lesson in being uncaring and screwing the customer. We immediately told the cabin staff to call security and a manager and it took almost 20 minutes for them to show up! One security officer came down, spoke to us, told us to calm down, and then directed us to the pursers desk to fill out forms! So filling out forms is the most important thing at this point, huh? All right, off to the pursers to fill out forms and another hour goes by. Finally the security officer returns with his colleague and they proceed to tear our room apart looking for the missing money! As they are tossing our room (actually twice and three times) they are also insinuating (3 times totally) that maybe our son and his friend stole the money! Lets see, we saw the money before we left and the boys were with us all day. My wife lost it and proceeded to let them know what she thought of their family tree.
To the pursers desk 2 hours later where she disappears for 20 minutes to write up a letter instructing us to call Guest Relations (an oxymoron) when we return to port. We subsequently follow-up with security the following day to find out 3 people have access to our room and they wont give us any info as to what they did to investigate these three. Pretty much vacation is ruined now with 2 days left.
Pros: Formal dining room staff
Cons: Security, guest relations