Carnival Sensation Cruise Review

Me(21) and my boyfriend (24) took a vacation on the Sensation May 13-20. In short, I would give the experience an B+/A- rating. Below, I will explain why and give future cruisers some tips. THE ROOMWe had an outside cabin on the Riveria deck (the lowest deck). The window is HUGE! I highly recommend getting an outside cabin or else the room will seem like a cave. The floor was quiet, but you will be one of the last to get off the boat on the final day. The stewards are amazing and always keep the room clean. The shower has wonderful pressure and there is always warm water. THE FOODThis part of the cruise is what disappointed me. The buffet food on the Lido deck (pool deck) is comparable to cafeteria food. However, the biggest disappointment, to me, was the dining room food. Everyone always raves about the food, but it was medicore. Though there was always a nice selection, it was always bland. The lobster was overcooked, the salads were warm, and everything else did not have a flavor. The desserts? WONDERFUL.THE PORTSWe visited Grand Cayman, Mexico, and New Orleans. They were the BEST part of the cruise. I highly recommend shore tours. My boyfriend and I agree we picked the best ones. Do the Stingray Sandbar Tour ($33 per person). AMAZING. It was so cool to feed them, swim with them, and touch them. I even got some pictures of me holding one of them HUGE females. In Cozumel do the Catamaran Snorkel Beach Party Tour ($42 per person). You snorkel in the beautiful waters, then sail out to a beach. At the beach there is volleyball, food, and mats for laying out. On the catamaran and beach, they give you unlimited beer and maragaritas. In New Orleans, we didn't do a tour, but rather toured ourselves. Cozumel was our favorite! Eat at Panchos, located downtown (only a 5 dollar cab fare). THINGS I LEARNED1. Get up early if you want a chair!! The first morning we got up to the pool area at 10:30 am and ALL the chairs were taken. Finally, we found two chairs available on the 'NO tops optional' deck. We learned our lesson and got up to the deck at 8:30-9 a.m. to get a nice seat. 2. Bring your own liquor! We brought 2 litres of rum with us in our suitcases. We poured the rum in waterbottles just in case someone checked in our bags. Drinks are very expensive on the Sensation. Drinks average between 3.00-7.00 dollars. 3. Get a COKE card. They are $30.00 and are available at the pool bar. You then get unlimited sodas. It was very handy since we enjoy rum and coke drinks. We saved a lot of money this way. 4. On formal nights, people get REALLY dressed up. Many men wear tuxes. I have a very formal dress that I left at home since I thought no one really got THAT dressed up. Well, they do. 5. Customs is a joke. We basically just walked off with our luggage. No one got their bags 'checked' by customs officials. I didn't even see any. They say we are only allowed to bring 1 bottle of liquor into the US. Well, between my boyfriend and I we brought 5!6. Buy underwater cameras BEFORE the cruise. Otherwise, Carnival will charge you $26.00 dollars (!!) if you want to buy one. Overall, we had a great time. I would recommend this cruise to my friends!