Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean

A dreadful cruise

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

This was my third cruise. I had taken two Disney cruises (one on the Disney Wonder this year and one on the Disney Magic in 2007). Sailing on the Carnival Sensation was a pretty dreaded cruise, to say the least. First of all, I want to get the weather issue out of the way. The weather was poor, windy, seas were very rough, turning the ship into the "vomit cruise" with crowds of folks walking around with the barf bags and the smell was revolting almost everywhere you went. Saying this, I understand that this is beyond the fault of Carnival, itself. The seas were so choppy on this trip that even some of the crew members were very sick. Now, on with the review: since this was an economy cruise, you definitely get what you pay for. The entertainment, food, room, and pool, all were sub-par quality.

Pros: Camp Carnival

Cons: Please Read Review

Recommends Carnival Sensation? No.

I had read other descriptions of the Carnival Sensation, but was totally surprised that the ship had not gone under further renovations that they had already committed to. The interior of the ship was primarily this 1980's purple color and the layout of the dining, stores and other public areas were somewhat inconvenient. There were a number of elevators that were inoperable and the ones that did work, were pretty much worn down along with the rest of the ships decor. You also really had to learn how to get around the ship by by-passing certain elevators to get to certain areas of the ship, due to either the dining or entertainment theater taking up an entire portion of the ship. The cleanliness was pretty good.
The one night that we got to dine without getting sick due to the choppiness of the water was relatively good, I got the lobster tail with shrimp, which was prepared very well. However, my mother and father in law ordered the steak, which was prepared very dry. The dining room atmosphere was good. The choices were plentiful. There was no choice on choosing the dining room, we were assigned to. The open buffets were pretty limited on selection and sub-par in quality of taste.
The staff was relatively helpful and friendly. Housekeeping went above and beyond when the shower drain became clogged and called it in to their staff. A staffer immediately responded and fixed the issue.
The silver lining of this cruise was that Camp Carnival was fabulous for my nine year old daughter. She definitely had the most fun out of all six of us. The staff was extremely friendly and safety and security were paramount.
For the Carnival Sensation, the 2008 revamp I see that they installed some verandahs for some of their rooms (I booked two of them, for my wife and daughter, and for my wife's mother and father and our son). I was very surprised of how tiny these so called state rooms w/ verandahs were. My interior room on the Disney Wonder was bigger, to include the bathroom. In fact they were so small that the third bed was a pull out bed, from the wall literally above our double twin bed acting as a cross bunk. You really need to be careful and not get up too fast or you will definately bump your head on the pull out bed. Over all comfort was very cramped, for what I thought I was requesting. Doesn't compare to the Disney cruises by far.
The entertainment was sub-par, almost feeling like I was on a cheap Vegas Vacation. The entertainment was not very good, and again, no comparison to the top-notch Disney shows you see on their cruises. The only thing that Disney doesn't participate is gambling. Carnival actually had a nice mini casino, but the downside is that they allow smoking inside the casino, and gets very stuffy very quick.