Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A Fantastic First Cruise!

Sail Date: March 29, 2009

The re-do on the ship was great! Everything was new in the public areas and the cabins, too. We had such a good time that we are now ready for a second cruise, maybe even a longer & further one!

Pros: The Food, the People, and the Towel Animals

Cons: Couldn't find the Maitre d' in order to change dining times

Recommends Carnival Sensation? Yes!

Everything was neat, being cleaned often (reminded me a bit of how Disney's workers are constantly cleaning up), and it really helped to have signs to help us find our way from the main atrium area.
The food was very good. It was nice to know that if I didn't like something, I could just ask for something else. I especially loved to chocolate desserts! Our waiters Lucian and Idigi were so great, our group even took pictures of them with us! It was also great having the different buffets open for meals and the pizza & sandwiched bar open as well for the "inbetween" times! The buffet seating at the back of the boat was especially nice since you could sit on the "Porch" outside areas or stay inside and still have a great view of the ocean. Again, there were always people cleaning up and keeping the areas neat.
My husband and I quickly learned that the staff were truly "on our side" with their friendliness and willing to do anything for us. Our cabin steward added towel animals often and helped us with how to get about the ship. Our Fantasy Dining Room waiters were so good, and we loved their little "shows". We miss them! Paul, the entertainment director, was very personable. After a few days of getting used to him, I overcame my usual shyness to say, "Hi!" to him and we had a nice conversation.
This was our first, so I don't have any actual comparisons, but our oceanview cabin seemed a very nice size. I've seen ships next to ours where the windows were much closer together than ours, so I'm assuming their cabins were narrow. With the new refitting, the mattresses were really my kind of firm. I had brought along an extra foam topper, as I usually need this for my back at most hotels, as was so happy that I didn't need to use it! The frequent cleaning with turn-down and chocolate service by Anton was so great, too! I also thought the shower water temperature was very fast on getting to a comfortable warmth.
The stage shows were great, especially the next-to-last evening that included "my kind" of 60's-70's beat and songs from "Dirty Dancing". The dancers were really professional quality and the singers were amazing! It was nice knowing that we could make choices about the times and different places for entertainment. Even the piano player in the atrium was a great touch, especially when we were on our way to supper.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
We enjoyed the boat cruise around to the marketplace. It's always nice to see the ocean waves. The marketplace was interesting, because we hadn't been there for many years. On the ride back, we got to see where the old King's Inn and El Casino had been (unfortunately no longer working because of hurricane damage).
We enjoyed to Highlights Tour, which gave us more of an idea of the island. It let us do a little walking, but we didn't HAVE to do much. We skipped doing the Queen's Staircase, but it was good to see and get some photos.
Don't Miss: ATLANTIS was great. The Dig and Aquarium tour is fantastic!