Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Perfect Family Cruise

Sail Date: June 15, 2008

Yes, it is true that there is a lot of purple and gold on the ship! I read all the reviews too. But! it was a lot more tasteful than I expected. The ship was still quite elegant, clean, and fun. I took my 15yr old son and he had a great time. This is the perfect family vacation cruise. I've been on Royal Caribbean and Princess and I think my overall satisfaction with Carnival beat those guys out. Now I must qualify that remark by saying it all depends on what you're looking for. Couples only, in a quiet romantic scene RC is probably the best. Princess...well sort of in between RC and Carnival in terms of who they cater to, but I had a terrible experience with Princess and their cust service, so I vowed not to go Princess again. They left all mine and about 15 others' luggage at the dock in Florida and we were two days out to sea before my clothes reached me. They expected me to wear the jeans and T-shirt I flew in on while they figured out where my luggage was. It took a lot of arguing to convince them to give me a swimsuit and shorts from out of their gift shop so I could at least be outside in the 95 degree weather. I know mistakes happen, but it's all in how you try to make things right once something goes wrong that makes all the difference, right? Oh! back to Carnival. I did find Carnival to be the "Fun" ship. So, if you don't like being around parents (30-40) and their kids (8-18), this is not the cruise for you. If you don't like going to shows (i.e., Vegas-esque, game, comedy, kareoke, magic tricks, music, etc) this is not the cruiseline for you.

Pros: The family fun atmosphere on the ship

Cons: They did not provide enough information about what to do and expect off the ship, ie., excursions. Do your research on this before taking any cruise.

Recommends Carnival Sensation? Yes!

I actually liked my stateroom on Carnival better than on Royal Caribbean and Princess. Now I have to admit, I always go with the economical room because I know you don't spend hardly any time there. Always get a room that is in the lower center section if you are sensitive to motion. And bring the Bonine or any generic for Bonine as a preventitive measure. Take one just before you set sail each day. Bonine or it's generic is the better choice because it doesn't make you drowsy like the others.
I too read the reviews about the decor, but it really wasn't as bad as people said. Yes, it might of been outdated but it was still tasteful, elegant, clean, and well kept.
The food in the dining room was very good, but you have to know what to order. One night I couldn't decide between the salmon, chicken and pasta, and the steak. My waiter brought me all three! The Chicken and pasta was the best. But that's the kind of service cruising is all about! The buffet is fine for the kids who don't have a developed pallet. Adults, eat in the dining room and you'll be much happier with the food.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Did the Kayaking and Snorkel tour, it was okay. I've been snorkeling in the Caymans so it just doesn't can't compare to that.
Did the Atlantis AquaAdventure. You know...the expensive one. This is where I don't think I got enough information, but it might have been my fault because I missed the 8:15 time (too early) and had to try to catch up to my tour group later two hours later. Great for the kids.