Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

First Cruise of MANY!!!

Sail Date: July 20, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by the size and layout of the room. I had my two sons and partner with me and there was an adequate amount of space. My sons are 12 and 16. My partner and I are in our 40s. The kids were entertained, kept occupied, and had many opportunites to meet and socialize with kids their own ages. The gentle rocking of the ship at night provided the most restful sleep I've had in years. My partner and several others said the same. The weather was overcast and there was quite a bit of rain while at port. The "day at sea", which I had heard from others before going was the worst part, was excellent. There was plenty on board to keep all ages entertained and the captain kept the deck in the sun for the majority of the time, allowing the clouds to roll in about dinner time (just after a spectacular sunset)! The lightening and rain were amazing at sea. The best bar and entertainment was found in a more deserted bar (which gathered excitement as the night went on). The live band ("Rising Up" from the Phillipines) played music from artists ranging from Marvin Gaye, to Lynyrd Skynyrd, to a plethora of Beatles and pop soundtrack songs that would make even the "oldest at heart" (namely ME) want to get up and dance. I haven't danced so much or laughed so much in a very long time! The games on the pool deck were entertaining even though the 3 cruise directors had only one amongst them that was not irritating with an, in my opinion, overly DRY sense of humor. Bands, bars, free photography sessions, food, games, etc. were all wonderful! There were only a couple of minor negatives: (1) Several times we ordered drinks and had bartenders "claim" miscommunication (all staff was International) and pour Grey Goose Vodka and CHARGE for it when we asked specifically and clearly for regular well brand. (2) We wanted to play Bingo for the prize money, which had been mentioned several times and placed in every newspaper. However, after we sat through several little "skits", etc. the Bingo had a charge per card in order to play. I still do not know why they couldn't just state this instead of surprising people with it. The charge was only $5.00 and was not at all unreasonable (none of the incidental charges were unreasonable). They just add up if you are not careful. (3) The final negative, which was the largest positive for most I believe, was the formal night. People were decked out in suits, tuxedos, pageant dresses, etc. and everyone had to have at least 20 pictures made! This went on for hours. Everyone looked lovely and the photographers were efficient but the crowd was unbelievable! One could barely get through several areas, especially the main lobby. Most other events were better directed and planned. I can see how (when people want pictures made with various groups) this would be difficult to direct other than just having people stand in line. We chose not to participate. Overall, the first cruise for all 4 of us was a huge success and we intend to vacation on the ocean for many years to come - hopefully EVERY YEAR. Carnival Cruise ships provided adequate, clean, professional, and diverse fun for our entire family!

Pros: Sleeping in the the gently rocking bed! Food 24/7 - HUGE VARIETY!

Cons: Day at Port in Nassau. 12,000 people in the city - VERY CROWDED - no "deals"

Food is available 24/7. Assigned formal dining tables have the formality of an upscale restaurant. However, if you do not care for this type of service, 24 hour pizza is available, which appear frozen but is outstanding!!!! Once placed in the mouth, it is obvious the pizza is made fresh. The casual dining area food quality is just as wonderful as the formal. It's just sefl serve!
Our room steward always had the bunkbeds up when left the room and down at the end of the evening. The folded towel variations left on the bed were entertaining. Each time we met the housekeeping staff, they smiled and spoke. Other staff, such as the waitress assigned to out table, spoke and remembered us in various areas of the ship. The staff was excellent!
As mentioned before, the band "Rise Up", was phenomenal!!!!!!! I passed the bar and heard the sound of music coming from inside. When I looked in, my first thought was, "Those Asian men can't be singing 'that'!" My second thought was, "Why aren't more people in there!?" They were exceptional musicians, but their humor and 'act' even added more to the show! Absolutely spectacular!!! I'd go see them in concert somewhere!!!
We chose not to eat in Nassau because the ship had too much food included and it just seemed like a waste (since the city was crowded anyway). The straw market was definitely "something to see" but was not the place to find deals on a day when 12,000 visitors are there. It was unbelievably packed!!!!