Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Some good, some not so good

Sail Date: June 22, 2006

This being our first cruise, maybe we had high expectations, but we probably won't cruise again for a while. We have spent several vacations at Disney World and expected the staff to be "Disney Friendly", but it's not quite up to that level. It was "ok" - nothing horrible that we couldn't deal with, but definitely not one of our better vacations. Being first time cruisers, there were a lot of things that were not made very clear. Other passengers helped to answer a lot of questions that the staff didn't. Also it's probably not the best choice for older, more mature teens.

Pros: The shows, the Cruise Director, the beach

Cons: Some staff not quite that friendly, food not exceptional, saturated with selling of noninclusive things

I shared a cabin with my 15 year old son and they gave us a cabin with one single bed. We switched with my friend and her daughter who had 2 beds in the cabin next to us. We let the staff know but they didn't fix our room so we stayed in the other cabin. I had ordered a bottle of wine before the cruise to be sent to the cabin and it was there, but no cork screw or instruction where to get one. Again, told the staff but never got one. We bought one on shore the next day. But the stateroom was a good size and very comfortable. It seemed the staff was constantly in it though - it would be nice to have them in only once a day.
The ship was very nice, the cabin size was comfortable and the ship was clean. The gym was very hard to find but once we did, wow, great equipment! Also a nice running track outside.
Dinner the first night was half good- half bad. My son ordered lobster tail and I tasted it when he said it was bad and I've never had to spit out lobster into my napkin before, but this lobster was definitely "not right". I ordered the Spa Cuisine cake with sugar-free frosting and the taste of salt was VERY strong - someone must have accidentally used it instead. The prime rib was very good and the vegetables but we never went back there. We ate the rest of our dinners at the buffet. The food was pretty good there but the sides were basically the same each night. The 24 hour pizza station was good but the staff in these buffet areas didn't interact at all.
We didn't experience any "above and beyond" - most of the staff was friendly enough, but we had quite a few that were very obviously not happy. The Cruse Director was very funny and has a great personality.
Couldn't get the 15-16 year olds to go to the Teen Club because they checked out the schedule of activites and thought they were too "young" for them. It seems the programs for the very young children was good - they had more in different age groups.
The game shows and poolside parties were pretty good, but the last night Vegas Show was excellent! We also enjoyed the Bingo.
Lots of shopping as you step off of the boat, many places to eat or drink. We took a water taxi to Paradise Island and walked to the Public Beach (take a cab)! The water and beach was absolutely gorgeous!
Don't Miss: The beach