Carnival Pride Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

p
All in all, this was...

Sail Date: March 18, 2012

p
All in all, this was a most enjoyable cruise. Last year I sailed on the Carnival Destiny out of Miami to the Bahamas. The Pride is a much nicer ship (newer class?) than the Destiny. My balcony cabin on the Pride seemed to be a bit larger than my balcony cabin on the Destiny, and the bathroom, for sure, was a bit larger and much more accommodating on the Pride: I could enter and close the bathroom door without contorting my body on the Pride, and the shower had a removable telephone receiver-like shower head which made it so much easier to rinse off. Also, the Pride has a specialty restaurant, David#39;s. I wound up dining four nights at David#39;s, pretty much sampling their excellent, though somewhat limited menu. The cuisine at David#39;s is exceptional, and the presentation of the appetizers and the entrees unique. So many things were outstanding, but among them, I point to the double thick rack of lamb chops (for quality, preparation and presentation) and the lobster bisque (the absolute best that I have ever tasted). One of the reasons for my choosing to dine at David#39;s was that the main dining room, though much brighter and airier than the depressing common areas on the ship (dark, fake Rococo, liberally daubed with Raphaelian reproductions) just didn#39;t compare. The dining room was noisy, and, travelling solo, I was placed at a table with other unaccompanied people, and only two sisters showed up. Add to that, the food, though acceptable, wasn#39;t great, at least the first night. So, I decided that for a little extra money ($30/meal), I could make my cruise so much more memorable by dining elegantly in David#39;s. I also signed up for Chef#39;s Table one night, and, as with the Destiny cruise, Chef#39;s Table is a $200+ experience for a $75 charge (see photos). (OK, so I am a foodie!) The one night that I decided to try As You Wish dining, the hostess in the upper dining room gave me a hard time, insisting that I should go to my assigned table, but I kept insisting even harder that I wished to dine alone that night...finally she gave in, but it did not leave a great impression on me. I was not at all picky about the itinerary, because my pleasure is sitting on my balcony with a good book and an occasional glass of Port (wine) and listening to the waves go by. I also witnessed Venus and Jupiter above a rising crescent moon in the evening sky one night. So, basically, I didn#39;t really care where the ship went. However, my greatest disappointment was that the excursion that I most looked forward to, the Windjammer cruise out of Freeport, was canceled due to insufficient demand. That#39;s the main reason that I did not give five stars. Also, boarding several thousand passangers is a rather arduous experience, though it was done much more expeditiously in Baltimore than in Miami, even though boarding in Baltimore was delayed at least an hour because the ship arrived late from the previous cruise (bad weather). Also, this time, there was a full sit-down meal available in the dining room as opposed to the chaos of the buffets on the Lido Deck on the Destiny. The other great appeal for me was that I could drive from home to Baltimore in less than one hour without speeding one bit. And, parking was available in a lot right at the pier. Would I repeat the cruise next year...very likely, though I would surely jump at it if there were no extra single supplement.

Recommends Carnival Pride? Yes!

Cruise Photos

Had all I needed. Would have liked some REAL news stations on the TV. FOXnews and CNN ranged from disgusting to bland.
David's superb; main dining room OK, and portion control made for smaller servings.
Entertainment Never attended the big shows. One evening I went to the comedy show and found it gratuitously crude.
Kids were pretty well corralled away from adults during the day, and there was an adults only area on the Lido Deck aft.
Almost all crew were super accommodating of my needs.
Never made use of them