Carnival Pride Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Second Mate

I just got back from my third cruise...

Sail Date: February 05, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I just got back from my third cruise on the Carnival Pride [30 cruises total). The Captain had to buck head winds of 45kn on the way back and I think at times he was going 26kn -- whoosh! Upon arrival -- it was cold. 23 degrees with wind chill in the teens. Certainly a difference from Nassau and Freeport.

In Nassau, where we stayed longer than a usual port stop, early people got off while some waited for later tours. Then something happened in town. There was a gas leak at the dock and the Nassau police closed the street. Passengers could not get off or on the ship for 1.5 hrs. Many missed tours. A propane tank on a dock tug had sprung a leak. It took a very long time to find the source. The fix was to open the valve and vent all the gas to the air. Shop owners were trying to get passengers to stop smoking in the streets -- many didn't pay attention.

I had booked an inside cabin but when I arrived at the terminal, I was upgraded to a very large balcony suite with 3 sinks, whirlpool/tub, dressing room with vanity, 6 closets, dimmer control lights, sofa, etc. All this for one person (I travel solo). Probably next time they will upgrade me to a hammock on deck minus 1.

The ship seemed pretty full. This cruise was their"cheepie" of the year due the cold of February and the Super Bowl at the same time. But for the football inclined, the Super Bowl was on TV all over the ship -- main theater, sports bar, lounges, and cabins. It was good to see the Redskins win (was I watching an old video tape????)

BTW -- If you haven't done the free steam rooms on the Carnival ships, you are really missing something. I took one a day. There great!

The Carnival Pride is not the biggest ship in the line. It supports a little over 2000 passengers and close to 1000 crew, yet it is a large ship and is well decorated in a neo-Renaissance style -- which the men seem to enjoy. There is elegant dining in the MDR plus a fancy "in the funnel" $30 extra steak house.

There is a Serenity area for those who want to get away from the crowds and the fitness center is well equipped with video treadmills and other equipment; plus a large community hot tub. Beside the steam rooms (male female) that I mentioned before there are gender saunas.

There is a large theater that was never crowded, but the Comedy Club shows were over attended. Casino employees always smile as they take your money and the slot machines are programmed to laugh at you.

Carnival menus are basically the same on most of the ships. Menus were updated towards the end of last year. They are quite good and have enough variety for all.

The ship has a long way to go to reach the Bahamas and stops at Port Canaveral before it reaches Nassau and Freeport; from which it leaves early in the afternoon on a long race back to Baltimore for a 9am docking.

Parking at the port is $15/day, but for about the same price you can get a hotel room for the night before where they allow 8 day free parking, transportation to and from the ship, and a great breakfast. Consider it!

This is a great port for those mid-Atlantic and North Eastern cruisers who might like to drive (even some Canadians drove) and not fly to Florida. Carnival does hike the prices a little to take some of your saved air fare and there are probably better destination ports offered from Florida.

The port is only 27 miles from my house, but I only take the Pride once a year, opting for other cruises from Florida (3 ports), New Orleans, San Juan, San Diego, Long Beach/San Pedro, Omaha, and Anchorage (Whittier).

Current Cruise Director is low keyed (much better than other caffinated CDs) and shipboard activities are abundant and varied.

Carnival on board staff is always nice. No "attitude"; here.

- LeVoyageur (Greenbelt, Maryland)

Recommends Carnival Pride? Yes!

Cruise Photos

upgraded to a very large balcony suite. Who wouldn't put their thumbs up?
Great food when making wise choices
Good main shows. Other stuff depends on your likes.
Carnival is always good. They work for tips and I tip them.
Great gym. I'm there at 6am. I also use the steam room on a daily basis
Destinations and Excursions Been there, done that -- many, many times. Also, not so inviting in the dead of winter