Hijacked by Sandy

Carnival Pride Cruise Review to Caribbean

Helpful Vote: 1

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Baltimore Roundtrip)
Sail Date: October 21, 2012
Ship: Carnival Pride
I like the fact that the Carnival Pride is not a mega ship - I prefer the smaller size and fewer passengers. Even on sea days when most everyone was eating in the same place, the buffet did not seem overly crowded. We've sailed on Pride before, so basically were familiar with the layout of the ship. This was not a normal cruise experience, since we only docked in one port, and could not access the outside decks or pool due to the bad weather. I think the crew did an outstanding job dealing with the change in itinerary and taking up the slack with additional activities to try to keep everyone's vacation from totally tanking. I can't say enough about the Captain, who diverted us from several ports and made all the right choices to bring us safely home ahead of Superstorm Sandy.

Food was very good with excellent presentation. We prefer the flexibility of my time dining\, and the computer stored our table number from the first night (by the window)\, and we always got that same table and the same wait staff when we arrived at approximately the same time every night.

Here again\, this cruise was not a normal experience. Since we were couped up inside with no ports to visit\, the crew was scrambling to schedule activities to keep us busy. I think they did an excellent job.

The staff was very friendly and willing to help out with any request. They were\, I'm sure\, sorely tried on this cruise\, since we never left the ship and couldn't go outside - 24/7 - guests to be catered to. It could not have been easy to keep smiling. I'm sure some guests were especially impatient when things started to go wrong\, but the staff remained upbeat.

I found everything to be very clean. The decor of the Carnival ships are often a bit \"over the top\,\" but that is part of their charm.

We opted for a guaranteed balcony with the hope of getting an upgrade - a calculated gamble\, and we lost. We got cabin 5168 - centrally located in the ship\, which was advantageous when we got into choppy water. But we also had an obstructed view balcony\, which would have not been ideal if the weather had been nice. As it turned out\, we couldn't stay on the balcony after the first four days\, so it didn't matter much. The television variety was great\, and came in handy given the circumstances.

Pros: Arriving home safely

Cons: the weather

Recommends Carnival Pride? Yes!