Carnival Pride Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Second Carnival Cruise, maybe my last?

Sail Date: May 13, 2012

Overall, the cruise is okay. We ran into some stormy weather which is par for the course this time of the year I suppose, so if you don't like rain and rocky waves with your golden beaches it would be best to steer clear of the Bahamas this time of year. Also if you prefer to travel a bit further and not cruise to another US state from Baltimore (I.E. FLORIDA) pick another cruise. It was a bit annoying to cruise to a place we could just drive to, but what can you do when this is the only cruise with the right timing for our vacation.

Personal preference - I like a quieter, less rowdy cruise, so Carnival is not the place to go for that. That said, there are lots of activities for kids and for the most part they don't mix with adults (unless you go to the pools, where it is always chock full of kids.) The Pride is one of their mid-sized ships with about 2400 passengers, so there can be lots of competition for facilities and lots of people about.

Overall the rooms were clean - cleaned twice a day, though not vacuumed. Maybe not the best if you like things pristinely cleaned but it was clean enough for my standards. We had asked for separate beds but they put our beds together and didn't fix it until the second day. The cleaning crew came by to apologize, which we appreciated.

Food was not great, as I mentioned earlier. The Lido buffet was ALWAYS crowded when I went.

Overall the staff were very nice and friendly, except for one instance where I went to the gym and signed up for one of their sessions - a "free foot consultation". I was there early and waited for 15 minutes past the start time, and the organizer did not bother to even spare me a glance or make eye contact or apologise for making me wait as he attended to another person, it was like I didn't exist. I don't know if it was because I was of East Asian descent or maybe I just didn't look like I wanted his attention (didn't want to say anything to interrupt the session he was having with his first person) but still I felt really stupid standing there waiting for that long without acknowledgment.

Pros: Crew was polite, energetic, enthusiastic - you can see that they make an effort to connect to their customers and please them. The night shows were also good - the dancers and singers look very hard working. Entertainment staff worked hard.

Cons: 1) Food - It's hard to make good food on a cruise ship, I admit, with the sheer volume of people, but I have been on other cruises and they have managed to use better cooking techniques. Most of the food was very salty, oily, overcooked... etc.

Recommends Carnival Pride? No.

Personal preference is that I like the boat smaller, or more facilities per person. But it's a low cost cruise so you can't have both!

Cleanliness was okay. Had to wait for elevators a lot though.
Food was not great. You could pay extra for a steakhouse which I hear was excellent.
We had a decent sized inside room, reasonably cleaned. Not a great design though as I hit my head several times on the TV mount next to the ceiling.
Lots and lots and lots of trivia games! Fun, but how they grant prizes is pretty inconsistent - sometimes they make sure you don't cheat and other times there's no checking at all. I guess if you really want that little plastic trophy enough to cheat you've earned it, but still.

The shows at night were really really good. I would personally prefer more musical/showtunes variety of things, but probably Carnival is not the place to go for that.
This is by far the best feature of Carnival cruises - the enthusiasm and professionalism of the staff.