Carnival Paradise Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Good cruise overall

Sail Date: January 26, 2013

This is my 3rd cruise w/ Carnival and overall, and I enjoyed it again! Everything really was as expected, nothing special or bad at the onset. One thing that my girlfriend and I noticed was the quality of the breakfast eggs - the first 2/3 days they were great, but the following/last days they were absolutely terrible and inedible. The rest of the buffet was good, though, albeit limited sometimes. Besides the complaint about the eggs, the quality of food in the cafeteria and formal dining rooms was good.
My girlfriend and I are in our early/mid 20s and we were satisfied with the entertainment overall. We went to a lot of small trivia events, which we enjoyed and just tied to do a little bit of everything. The evening shows were good except for the final one... The last one was somewhat of a raunchy western and a bunch of people (including the 2 of us left). The casino was fun and only a 3% charge to get chips from a card (none if you cash in)
As earlier said, it was a good cruise overall. The ship was well kept, the guests weren't rowdy or boring and the crew was friendly. I'd have no hesitation doing it again.
Carnival Paradise was well kept and clean. A little work was being done as we sailed, but it didn't interrupt anything.
The food was okay. The cafeteria was closed at funny hours, and only had sandwich or pizza available at that time, which was a little frustrating. The quality of breakfast eggs also declined through the week.
The room (interior) was nice, but one complaint. Behind the curtain in front of the fake window, there was no painting or mural... There usually is one and they're normally tacky, but nice. Stateroom was cleaned often, which was nice. Bathroom shower did overflow a bit, though...
The staff was friendly for the large part, almost everyone said hello or something. A few people wouldn't say anything, but that's to be expected - and there were very few of them.
The evening shows were good, until the final one... The trivia events were enjoyable and we did a bunch of those.
I think there should be more activities during the at-sea days, as we got bored those days easily. A bunch of the events were in the AM, which doesn't work if you want to sleep in a bit...
It's hard to make this review, as I only had an excursion at 1 of the 2 stops, but I must say that everything I considered ended up being overpriced. We toured Grand Cayman ourselves and did almost everything that excursions would have, but for only 1/5th the price. Some of the excursions were to crummy places, not worth paying to visit (eg Hell). Cozumel went well and had a nice, unexpected tequila tasting stop. Our tour of the Mayan ruins was nice and we ended at a beach that was trashed... The water was nice and all, but there was trash littering everything, which was very disappointing. In the end, I'd do it again though.
Tampa, Florida
I live in Tampa and don't particularly care for the city, but I have to say that the ease of getting on the ship is outstanding. I've been to FTL and MIA and those ports are much much more complicated, and have much longer lines/waits. Tampa was easy in and easy out, no hassle. Only problem is that there's not much to do around the port...
George Town, Grand Cayman
The port at GC was nice, as the vendors weren't pushy, there was plenty to do in walking distance and it was all fairly clean.
The best thing about the port in Cozumel is the amount of things to do around the port. There are bars, shopping and all, right there. Problem (as in the rest of Mexico) is that the vendors are so damn hawkish and are loudly "bidding" for your business at every corner and opportunity. The port was clean as well, but the vehicles used for the excursions were really beat up and in bad condition.

1 Comment