Carnival Paradise Cruise Review to Mexico

4 Day Paradise Cruise: LBC to Ensenada

Sail Date: March 30, 2009

Overall, I had a great cruise! It was my girl friend's and my first cruise ever and I don't think I could've chosen a better vacation than the cruise on the Paradise.

We got our tickets super cheap through and honestly, I felt like the cruise was worth every penny. There was a lot to do (try the Karaoke and blackjack), the staff was incredibly friendly and I never felt like anyone disliked their job or disliked me.

I think if I were to book the cruise again, I would choose a different destination and probably an even larger ship just because I'm interested to see what those differences would amount to as far as my overall experience is concerned.

If there were two things I must clearly object to it was the fact that there was no ranch dressing at the 24/7 pizza bar (hello! What American doesn't like Pizza and ranch?!) and that there was this random stinky sulfer/rotten egg smell that would travel through the hallway sometimes and other times travel through our rooms ventilation. That was bearable only because it was every so often but if it happened more, I would have been very angry. The Paradise ship is only 10 years old so I don't know what's up with that.

Other than that, I would suggest that if you are going to take the Paradise cruise, bring some dress clothes so you can attend the Captain's Ball and get free drinks!

Also, the destination (Ensenada) wasn't very cool. It was like a really rundown Fresno in the middle of a desert with a brown ocean nearby. The main thing to do there is drink alcohol on the Bar strip so if you are thinking of white sandy beaches, choose another cruise.

I had a great time though. If you are expecting the cruise to be more than it is then you will be disappointed, remember its an inexpensive alternative to a fly-and-hotel vacation package to Mexico. Just have a good time!

Also, if you are young and expecting some type of spring break, singles cruise, this was mostly middle aged folk!

Pros: My favorite part was probably the super friendly staff!

Cons: A rotten eggs smell that would randomly appear in our room and various hallways on our floor (6th Floor)

Recommends Carnival Paradise? Yes!

The ship quality was good. I felt like everything was well made and I had no experiences with any malfunctioning or rundown areas of the ship. The only problem was the random sulfur smell that would travel through the hallways. It was so gross at one point that my GF and I had to vacate our room.
The food was kind of like an all-you-can-eat airline food buffet, which isn't terrible, it was just average. I expected the food to be average quality so I wasn't disappointed. I don't know if I could do a 2 week cruise with that menu, but for 4 nights, it was nice.

I am the kind of person that generally goes for healthy options and this cruise had them, they just weren't always the most appetizing option.

Try the steak, it was good!
The stateroom was good. We had an inside cabin with no windows which actually turned out fine because we didn't have the annoying sunlight to wake us up. I would suggest going with this option, the balcony and window offered with the suites is so small and you probably won't be spending much time in your cabin anyways.
The staff was top notch. Very international but everyone was totally fun and nice. The waiters were cool and super nice also. I had no complaint about any of them.
Lots of things to do. Mini golf, a club, kareoke. It was all great. If you are the plan, plan, plan type, you will have lots of activities to keep you busy. If you are like me you'll probably spend most of your time on deck reading and basking in the sun but there is lots to do!
Ensenada, Mexico
Meh. This place was like a rundown version of the poor parts of Fresno only in the middle of the Desert and next to a brown ocean. I wouldn't suggest swimming here. There is really only one thing to do: Go to the bars! If you don't like drinking with young people then I would say there isn't a lot to do here. We had fun because we had some bears and tequila but I would say choose another cruise if you want white sands and blue waters.
Don't Miss: The don't miss portion is the Bar street!
Catalina Island, California
Catalina was good. We only spent 3 hours on shore and there's honestly not a lot to do in Catalina so I think we spent the correct amount of time there. I think this is the kind of Island you come to when you want to just hang out and be lazy. I've heard some people can walk around the island in a day and I would imagine that's true. It was pretty cool. No real complaints.
Don't Miss: Don't miss renting a bicycle and riding around the island!