Carnival Paradise Cruise Review to Mexico

Great way to spend Christmas

Sail Date: December 01, 2006

The ship is nice for what I consider a mid-size ship - been on the Paradise' sister ship Ecstasy, and the 'dise was much nicer and cleaner, although I've heard Ecstasy has been refurbed since we sailed on her. I was worried that since this was a short cruise from Long Beach (LA), that it would be worn out, or not the nicest ship, but I was pleasantly surprised. Embarkation from Long Beach is probably the worst I've been through. No organization, and loooong lines.... Took my first cruise from Long Beach on the Pride 3 years ago, and I can say they've not improved a bit since then..... Nothing against Carnival, but the Embarkation staff at Long Beach could take a few lessons from other ports.... SF, Vancouver, Seattle..... Galveston was the easiest I've ever seen. Other than that, it was smooth sailing - good room, excellent service, great food.

Pros: Clean, nice ship

Cons: 3 Days is too short! :-)

Recommends Carnival Paradise? Yes!

These people work very hard - you gotta hand it to 'em.... and our waiter at dinner has been doing this for 16 years!
Pretty good shows - I put up with 'em for the wife's sake! :-) Not a broadway show kind of guy.... but they kept my interest, and with fairly rough seas at times, I was impressed with the balance some of the dancers had!
Standard size room - This was my sixth cruise, and every stateroom I've ever had was about the same size - just different in layout.... about 180 sq. ft., I believe. It was frustrating to have to use a credit card to lock the room safe - that was kind of the purpose of the safe, I thought.... to keep money, credit cards, cameras, etc. Stuff you didn't want to have to carry around the ship, since most purchases could be made on your sail and sign card.... which didn't work to lock/unlock the safe! It did on every other ship I've sailed on......
This was my second trip on a Fantasy-class ship, and I was pleased with the Paradise. Everything was well-maintained, and clean. Not the smokiest ship I've ever seen, which was nice. A nice plus - we had cell phone coverage on the entire trip.
I've found buffets on cruise ships to be pretty much the same..... pretty good. The 'dise was no exception, although I hit the dining room every night..... can't beat the service and excellent food. It's also fun to try things you've never had before!