Carnival Paradise Cruise Review to Mexico

An amazing getaway!

Sail Date: December 18, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

It was wonderful. I was a first time cruiser and didnt know what to expect. I had heard all kinds of stories, bad and good. The ship was beautiful, clean and filled with friendly people and loads of delicious food.

Pros: The staff, the food, the ship, the onshore excursions, almost everything!

Cons: The childrens programs could use improvements. Looked great for about 6 and under. Was completely useless for my 8 and 17 year olds.

Recommends Carnival Paradise? Yes!

The room was bigger than I expected and very nice. If anything, the only part I was disappointed in was the 4th bed. We booked the trip for 4 so I was slightly disappointed when there was only one fold down bed. The 4th bed was a roll away that was of far less quality than the other 3. I took that one for the duration of the trip because I didnt want any of the other members of my family to go without the comfort offered from the regular beds.
I was very unhappy with this part. However, I must say that the majority of the children in the camp looked very happy. My 8 year old daughter was a bit shy to go in and the 1 time she chose to, she was left alone with no one to show her around and to help her find things to do. She was basically dumped in front of a tv. We checked in an hour later to find her crying, still unassisted. She flat refused to go back. The 15-17 year old program was equally poor. My 17 year old son never got any clear communications on activities and the few times he checked into their designated area, there were only a few people sitting around and talking. Again, no one there to greet him, show him around or explain anything to him.
This is a mixed bag because on one hand, the shows were excellent. However, planned activities, especially during the at sea day were lacking. We were hard pressed to find something to do most of the afternoon without it costing. Overall though, the activities were fine and the shows were great.
Very clean and colorful. It was also decked out for the holidays which added to its beauty.
Dining was great. Our dining time couldn't have been better. The food was 98% perfect and the staff was incredible. I also enjoyed the fact that there were always good options for my picky 8 year old, yet delicious and more mature options for the rest of my family.
Our stateman, Russ, was always there to help us. He even called my husband and son by their first names and made them feel very welcome. There were always people around to answer any questions and when in doubt, the answers were usually addressed by the tour director Michael over the intercom.
Catalina Island, California
We had a great time there, though we were done in about 3 hours time. We went on the semi submersive, undersea tour. That was amazing. The crew was very sweet. My daughter dropped her ticket in the water right before boarding and they were so understanding and even joked about it to the point of making her laugh. That entire excursion was amazing and well worth the cost. There wasn't a whole lot to do other than shop or eat but it was all welll kept and friendly. After that, we ate lunch at a rib place that was good but the service was a bit slow. We actually ended our excursion then due to the cold. We were planning to rent a golf cart but it was quite chilly so we opted to get back onboard.
Don't Miss: The undersea tour (semi submersive)
Ensenada, Mexico
I was pleasantly surprised about this excursion. We opted for the "Taste of Mexico" and I would recommend that to anyone. They were there waiting for us straight off of the boat and took us on a shuttle bus. They took us through the city showing us the sites and explaining the history. It was very informative and the way they shuttled us around, kept us pretty clear of the street vendors. They eventually took us to Mango Mango for the class and it was amazing, I wont blow it for anyone wanting to go, but it was an A++ for any age, especially 8+. My entire family had a blast. Afterwards we were allowed about an hour to shop and then we were taken back to the ship. It was excellent and the city looks as if it is really cleaning up and improving.
Don't Miss: Taste of Mexico