Carnival Miracle Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Miracles Can Happen

Sail Date: August 13, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

I have just returned from taking a family cruise on the Carnival Miracle. This was the 13th cruise for my wife and I and our 2nd Carnival cruise after first sailing with the cruiseline in 1990. This was the 5th cruise for my children and their first on Carnival.

We are really glad that we gave Carnival another shot and were very pleased with our cruise. The trip exceeded our expectations and we hope to sail again on Carnival someday soon.

Pros: Ship layout, staff, cabin, pool areas

Cons: length of time to eat in dining room

Recommends Carnival Miracle? Yes!

I found that the buffet was far superior to the other ships that I have been on. The variety of food, pizza, and layout of this area made breakfast and lunch enjoyable. For lunch, there is a NY style deli, Asian food station, salad bar, and also places for the hot items of the day. There is a grill area for fries, onion rings, hamburgers, and other grilled items. The supper club, a 30.00 per person cover charge was a wonderful dining experience and well woth the money. The food was delicious and service reminded me of a 5 star exclusive restaurant. The main dining room exceeded our expectations in terms of the quality of the main course food. The appetizers were adequate but small in size. Our head waiter was excellent however, we had 3 assistants in 8 days and therfore our dinners took almost 2 hours a few times. I rate dining good overall and we were pleased and never hungry.
Carnival calls their ships funships for a reason as there is a lot to do. During the day, there are trivia games, horseracing, pool games, funny contests, and other fun things to do on the ship. In addition to the games, there is bingo offered at least one per day. I prefer the way that Carnival does this by offering the old poke through cards. I like that one can choose to pay for the cards by cash or on their sign and sail card and found that 20.00 for three cards much better than the other lines that I have sailed on. Carnival has live music and singing, karaoke, and several different shows in their lounges and in the theater. I appreciated the classical violin and piano music in the atrium during the dinner hours. My wife, kids and I like to attend the various production shows when we are on a cruise. We enjoy good theater and have seen shows on Broadway and many of the latest musicals and stage productions. The shows were very good and we enjoyed them.
We have stayed in inside cabins, ocean view cabins, and suites with balconies in the past. We were fortunate to stay in a suite on NCL last year. Our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, living/dining area, and balcony complete with butler and concierge service was an amazing and unforgettable experience. The Carnival Miracle does not have anything like this but we were able to book a Category 11 suite, midship for the 4 of us. I thought that after having about 575 sq. feet, that this would be difficult. Thankfully, I was wrong. This suite has 2 closet areas, plenty of drawers and counter space for our things. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and double sink area that was granite. This bathroom was plenty big for us. We especially loved the large balcony with lounge and two smaller chairs. The storage areas were great and I found that we were very comfortable in this cabin. The wall of windows and balcony door combined with the light wood tones and mirrors made the room seem larger.
I commend the staff and crew on the Carnival Miracle for providing a wonderful cruise experience for me and my family. I found the staff that we encountered to be friendly and were always smiling. The staff that we received services from always greeted us by name and went out of their way to be sure that we were satisfied. The staff we met appeared to like their jobs and I never encountered any negativity from anyone.
I found that the Carnival Miracle was the cleanest ship that I have ever been on. I enjoyed the public areas and never felt crowded. This surprised me given that over 2,000 people were on board. I found that the ship was easy to navigate and really enjoyed the spacious open decks. This ship has the best open spaces in which to get sun, relax, read, and enjoy the ocean.
We have cruised for the last 4 years as a family. We like to do things as a family but we have found that the kids programs on ships are a nice way to balance the family time and the adult time. We have appreciated the other kids programs on our past cruises. We feel that we have found the Platinum standard of Kids programs after my children have experienced Camp Carnival for the 9-11 year olds and the 12-14 year olds. My 10 year old daughter explained that the 9-11 year old camp by saying Dad, they treat us our age here! She loved the program and highlights the build a bear, pizza making, t-shirt painting, games, scavenger hunt, and going to the shows with her friends in the camp assigned seating. My 13 year old son told me that this was the favorite of his five cruises. He found that the Circle C club had plenty of games and activities that he enjoyed. The camp counselors did their best to make sure that these hard to please kids' were enjoying themselves.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
We have been to San Juan before but not for many years. We arrived at 3:00 pm and left this port at midnight. We took the kids and walked around Old San Juan for a bit and did some shopping. After less than 2 hours we were back on board. i know that this cannot be changed but it would have been nice to arrive at this port earlier than 3:00 pm. There really is not a lot to do with kids in the evening in San Juan.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We have been to St. Thomas before and most recently in 2006. We decided to follow the advice of a fellow cruiser and go over to Coki Beach which is right next to Coral World. We really enjoyed this beach with white sand and clear blue water. The beach has a reputation of being a good place for snorkeling. The locals sell you dog biscuits to feed the fish with and in about one minute there are fish of all sizes and colors all around you. This is a beautiful bay beach and has no waves. We had a wonderful day at Coki Beach and would like to return there some day.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Grand Turk Island
Grand Turk was our third and final port of call. We were at this stop from 1:00 pm until 7:00 pm. The Cruise welcoming center has new shops to purchase souvenirs and also houses Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. This place has one of the largest pools that I have ever seen. The pool has a swim up bar and there is a DJ that plays music and hosts silly contests. In addition to the pool, the place has a flow rider that allows you to show off you surfing skills for a fee right next to the pool area. Margaritaville also has and a nice beach but it is a bit rocky and the water was not a blue and clear as in St. Thomas. We decided to rent a cabana by the pool for the day through Carnival the shore excursion desk. We needed to book these on board the ship and for 99.00 for the day we thought it was well worth the price. These ten cabanas have room for 4, a fresh water outdoor shower, and a place in the shade in addition to some lounges that can be placed in the sun. It was wonderful!
Grand Turk Island