Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Third Mate

love this ship

Sail Date: January 17, 2016

We were unfortunately on the trip that was delayed by several hours due to a medical emergency and bad weather on the cruise before us. So started out on a bad foot anyway. I know it wasn't Carnival's fault, but they could of done something special for our inconvenience. A drink voucher or a small onboard credit. Anything to show good faith. I believe Magic is the biggest Carnival ship we've ever been on, and for the most part a very nice ship. Only complaint with the ship itself is that I didn't like the Serenity area. Too hard to get to, to cold and windy up there and didn't have it's own pool. Also hot tubs up there was not hot. Food on this ship was excellent. Most of the shows were excellent, except for comedy show. Only seen the cowboy comedian, he wasn't funny at all. Carpet in our stateroom was pretty filthy, but most the ship appeared clean. Didn't seem like as much entertainment by the pool as we've seen on most ships. But then again, several days too cool out to be out there. Another thing that was not good is the Captain Party first elegant night. In the past it was by invitation and drinks were free at it. Seems now they charge for drinks with a small discount. Seems each year we go, there are more and more cuts. I'd rather see the price of the cruise go up a little than to take more and more amenities taken away. Also, regarding always, I again will say, cruiseline needs to enforce a dress code in dining room. We dubbed this last cruise "the Walmart cruise" because of the dress of many passengers. I was disappointed they didn't even bother with white linens on the tables except on elegant nights. Yet another cut, I suppose. I would also like to comment on our cruise director, Dr. E. He was hilarious at times and has more energy than anyone I've ever seen, however, (I don't know how to put this without sounding bad), but it kind of bothered us that he talks kind of "ghetto". I'm sure he appeals to the young people but since most the ship is middle aged or older, he didn't really appeal to many. One last complaint is the wi-fi was horrible. I picked the middle package of $60 and ended up hardly using it because loading a page took forever. I know I gave many negatives, but none of it ruined the cruise, just wanted to make Carnival aware. Overall, we enjoyed our cruise. Food was excellent and enjoyed the sing and dance productions so much. Best shows we've seen. And the laser lights with them was over the top amazing. Also enjoyed the Illusionist. Carnival still has Royal Caribbean beat in almost every area.

No complaints with our cabin. Only thing carpet seemed to need a good vacuuming.
our excursions were not great, but it was our own fault because we waited till last minute to pick some.
didn't seem to have as many activites as usual. Not much variety. Lots of trivia games, little else
no comment, we have no children
Production shows fabulous, comedy shows not good, Illusionist great, other magician not that good.
best food we've had in several years of cruising. Only thing bad, coffee is bitter.