Great Ship! Excellent Cruise!

Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: September 01, 2014
This was our third Carnival cruise and this is the newest ship we have been on. We really enjoyed it. It's a large ship and it is well run. Check in at Galveston was a hassle and the lines were long. We had tried for months to get faster to the fun and couldn't. It probably took us close to 2 hours to get through the lines and on to the ship.

The ship was clean. The only complaint I have is that the shower in the spa was dirty several days. I'm not sure why this was overlooked but it was the only place where I noticed something not being clean.

The food was good. Not as good as the food on the Valor last year\, but still very good. The Lido buffet was okay. It's a buffet. You can't have high standards for that. The pizza place is good and I don't even like pizza. The dining room had great selections. I wish that some of the good stuff was offered more than just one night. Like the sushi. The salads were pitiful!!! Seriously the dining room should have some better salads. At least a wedge. Every night the salads were just not very good. There is a wonderful salad bar on deck 5 on Sea Days. I loved it. It was so good. The salad bar on the Lido wasn't great either.

The ropes course was a hoot. I thought it would be super scary but it was fun. I liked walking on the track. I even ran a little. Normally I don't run\, but at sea level there's so much oxygen that I could run and still breathe! The casino was the best casino ever...okay\, I'm biased because I won this time. We participated in a blackjack tournament and a slot tournament. Both were fun. I do wish that there were more quarter machines. My husband liked the water slides. I went up the stairs and then chickened out and walked back down. The water works area for kids looked like something my kids would enjoy. The sports court was nice. There were organized basketball and dodgeball games. The shows were nice. Although more risqu than the shows we have seen before. The comedy shows are hilarious. Lots of different trivia games each day.

All of the employees were super. We didn't encounter anyone who didn't love their job.

Please remember that may of the employees don't get a salary. They work SOLEY on gratuities. This includes the room stewards and the dining staff. Please\, please\, please pay your gratuities. I know it seems like a bummer and that they are just increasing the price of your vacation\, but please\, please tip generously. Really I wish that the cruise lines would just charge more and pay the staff\, but this way does really insure great service. The service was wonderful!

The decor on this ship is so much better than the Valor or Sensation. The colors are more muted and it's comforting.

We had a spa balcony. Cabin 12002. Loved it. Super private. There's no one above you to look down on your balcony and there's no one on one side. We loved the Thermal Suite. I didn't think it would be such a big deal\, but I loved it!!! The pool was my least favorite since it's just like a big hot tub in my opinion\, but the other rooms\, especially with the chaise lounges looking out into the water were wonderful! Also with the spa room you are super close to the spa. I really enjoyed running into the spa to shower. The showers in there are enormous and the ones in the cabin are so tiny. Great place to run and shave your legs.

Pros: The ship and the staff

Cons: We had rain. :(

Recommends Carnival Magic? Yes!