Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

medical emergency

Sail Date: May 03, 2015

I like Carnival Cruises. Embarking was easy with a friend in a wheelchair. Great duty free shops before boarding, can take two bottles 750c on board for personal use. Great. Room standard and clean. In hallway by exit signs, noticed water dripping from a light socket. I know water and electric don't mix. So I stood looking for the drips. I found three drips from three separate ceiling lights. I saw drops of water falling which I filmed... and told Guest services, the head of Guest services and rang maintenance on cabin phone. I stood in the hallway by the leaks, terrified an electrical fire would start. When maintenance arrived, he pushed the ceiling from underneath and water poured out of a ceiling light that was plastic and round. I stayed at the spot to watch him start to fix it. He called for back up and I left for dinner. When I got back the leaks had stopped. We got a blocked sink and toilet in bathroom promptly fixed, except toilet plumber left filthy towels in shower, drenched in chemicals and 'dirt'.. I gathered these up and dumped them outside the cabin. Wednesday night my friend vomited a lot and got abdominal pains, no diarrhea. Took her to medical center where she received excellent palliative care overnight. Thursday morning she was ambulanced to the local hospital of st. kitts were she got an ultra sound and various tests. The Dr. told us there was a 90% chance the condition would resolve itself but she wanted to observe carol  overnight. We did not want to be left on st. kitts and felt the ships dr. could observe carol overnight. Carol signed AMA to get us back on board. We were returned by ambulance. The ship Dr was displeased. Events became fast and chaotic.  Carol requested to stay in the medical centre overnight and if things did deteriorate we could disembark in st.maarten.  The short of it is, I left carol with the dr onboard to get a shower and change clothes. I got a phone call that Carol is leaving the ship. Carol verbalized she was told she had to go back to the st kitts hospital or leave the ship. Carol verbalized she was pressured to sign a waiver to leave the ship. Within ten minutes, I am escorted from my cabin and dropped off on the quay next to carol in her wheelchair. We had a 'representative' who drove us to the Marriot Hotel - the hotel was my choice. I had to pay for two nights on visa. Carnival did not pay. Carol spent two days in the hotel room until we got a flight out on May 10th back to Phoenix. This suggests to me that Carol could have spent two nights on Carnival in her cabin bed. We were then given a free ride to the airport by the representative. I lost 1,500 dollars on flights and hotel due to my friend Carols medical emergency. I cannot describe the shock of rapid events. I would like to state Dr.Martinez and Alwin the nurse that cared for Carol in the ships medical centre were excellent. I can say Dorothy who 'managed' our eviction from the ship was professional by company standards. I cannot say the same for the Dr. who communicated with Carol and stated he had called Carnival Headquarters to state Carol could not stay onboard the ship. I suspect she could have stayed on the ship or why did she have to sign a waiver under pressure to leave the ship, surrounded by security people who were outside the open cabin door. A very distressful experience. Carol made it back to Phoenix on May 10th with me at her side and went straight to hospital.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Castries, St. Lucia
Basseterre, St. Kitts
due to medical emergency. Hospital efficient but very slow to produce paperwork.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten never got there

Get insurance. Make carnival medical give you copy of bill. carol signed $1000 bill on her visa. I asked for copy. Nurse did not give it. Asked two more people and did not get copy of bill. Be aware this is needed when processing claims with Carnival insurance and other insurances.