Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

Pleasantly Surprised

Sail Date: November 02, 2014

Just returned from sailing on the Carnival Liberty to the Bahamas.  I had not sailed on Carnival for many years having sailed more recently with Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Celebrity.  Overall I was pleasantly surprised and happy with the experience.  The ship itself is solid, not the newer type of ship that blows you away- but solid.  My standard balcony cabin was just that- pretty standard.  Having been on several similar Carnival ships in the past the public areas were everything I remembered and expected.  A number of aspects of this cruise did really exceed my expectations:

• The staff and the service they provide were outstanding.  It just seemed that the staff aboard the Liberty were trained better then any other ship's staff I've experienced.  Always a smile.  Always asking if they can assist.  Always attentive.  It was really impressive.  My cabin steward took care of everything I needed and yet was almost invisible.  Our wait staff in the dining room was awesome and very entertaining.  Yes I do love the Carnival singing and dancing wait staff.  It's a tradition worth keeping and I'm glad they have.
  • Diamond Steak House.  The Liberty's specialty steak house restaurant.  While the decor could use a little sprucing up to make it warmer, the service, food and wine were really great.  Well done.
  • Chef's Table.  There is a dining option called Chef's Table that provides a private dining experience for a group of around 12-20 guests.  It can be booked as a group or with separate guests making up the group.  The cost is $75 per guest and worth every penny.  You spend that on a regular city tour shore excursion and this is a far better experience in my opinion.  We were hosted by the head chef named Karan I believe.  First you get a tour of the galley or kitchen all the while being fed yummy treats and plied with champagne.  We got to see how they make Carnival's trademark Chocolate Melting Cake (no surprise it's mostly chocolate, sugar and butter!) and how each dish is literally made to order.  I never would have thought that possible.  From there you go to a private dining room just off the main dining room where course after course is served.  Our courses included chilled soups, sea bass, a crab stack, Waygu beef, duck, a killer dessert and more.  We were entertained by the ship's magician as well.  He's really good.  Just do it if you can.
  • Half Moon Cay, Carnival's private island.  I've been to a bunch of other cruise line private islands and this was by far the best.  The beach was huge and only about a third of it was filled with guests.  There was tons of wide open empty white sand beach to stroll or relax on.  The ship was anchored just off shore making for great photo ops just like the ones in the brochure.  The facilities, food and service were all good.  It was the beach though that was the star of this show!

Overall, a really nice cruise, a great value and a fun time.  I recommend it.

Cruise Photos

Silver Dining room especially good
I did not do the nightly shows so cannot speak to that
fun staff