Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Customer service during and after the Carnival Liberty Cruise

Sail Date: December 14, 2013

This was my second time taking the Carnival Liberty Cruise out of Miami, FL. The first time was 15 Dec 2012. This year the cruise customer service on the cruise was less than acceptable. This trip started off bad with my flight to Ft Lauderdale being cancelled the night before by the airlines for me and four others in my party. The cancelling of the flight had nothing to do with the cruise line, but the experience after is why I have a bad taste in my mouth.

In order for me to make the cruise i took a fight into Orlando, rented a car and drove the four hours from Orlando to Miami to the pier to meet the ship before it departed.  We had prepurchased aiport transportation from the Ft Lauderdale Airport to the port in Miami through the website.  When asked about the possibility of either a refund or a credit for the unused portion of the transportation, I was told that the fee was nonrefundable and I was just out of the money.  No consiideration was entertained about the circumstances as to why, it was a flat there is nothing that can be done.

The reps don't take the time to listen to your questions, they gave you the standard answers whether it went with the question or not. The express service which is a program the ship has in conjunction with certain airlines to transfer your luggage from the ship directly to your flight for a fee of $20. The program itself is awesome, the problem is with the cruise line who charges the baggage fees, etc to your sail &sign account. Southwest Airlines doesn't not charge you baggage fees for your first two bags, but AirTran does. Southwest and AirTran have merged. All travel purchased under Southwest is has the no fee for bags policy even if the actual flight is being operated by AirTran.  It wouldn't have been bad if when I got to the airport and could have been reimbursed for the $60 fee I was being charged, but the cruise line charged you ahead of time and there was no way to be reimbursed because it was them fronting the fees for you ahead of time. When I explained the merge between the two airlines and that my baggage was free they were not willing to look into it or take the fee off of my account. I was told because it was an AirTran flight I had to pay the baggage fee to participate in the program or cancel out of the program.

Considering all the fees associated with cruises to feel like you are being taken advantage of leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to certain fees and the courtesy of customer service. To lose $312 because of Carnival's policy is not fair in my opinion especially when most people are on a budget. I have to say being a Gold VEIP member shows that I enjoy Carnival cruises, this particular cruise just didn't do it for me this time.

Wait staff was excellent