Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Great vacation and birthday trip!

Sail Date: October 30, 2010

We just returned from a 7-night trip on the Carnival Liberty. The trip was to celebrate my 50th birthday. Overall it was a great experience and a memorable time. My favorite was dinner at Harry's Steakhouse for my birthday. We had an awesome meal followed by a birthday cake and the staff singing to me.

Pros: Balcony stateroom, onboard activities, dune buggy shore excursion, Harry's Steakhouse

Cons: Too much smoking!!! Service in the Victoria Lounge, Long lines for breakfast

Recommends Carnival Liberty? Yes!

Pros - availability of food 24x7, poolside grill, ice cream machine
Cons - long lines for bfast and lunch buffets, lack of seating, cold food
Loved having the balcony; great place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine at night; downside was our "neighbors" smoking on their balcony :(
Most staff are friendly and seem willing to help with a couple of exceptions. We went to several shows in the Victoria Lounge. The service there was the worst on the ship. Most of the time there was only one server taking orders which meant long waits. On one occasion we finally received our drink about 10 minutes before the show ended. On another occasion, my order was taken and 20 minutes later I saw others receiving their drink orders but not me. My boyfriend finally went to the bar to complain and they gave him my drink with an apology. To make it worse, the gratuity is automatically added to the tab so there is little incentive for the wait staff to provide excellent service.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
We chose to tour San Juan on our own. We rented a car (Hertz at Sheraton near port) which started out a frustrating day. The guy at the rental car desk was new and took over 30 minutes to process our rental which I had reserved months before. Returning the car was just as frustrating. Our goal was to visit El Yunque which we did finally. If I had it to do over I would still rent a car and do on my own but would get better directions and plan to do some hiking at El Yunque. Very little to be seen on a quick drive thru.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Again scheduled a tour through Island Marketing. This was not as successful as Nassau. Our ship arrived late but the tour time was set for 11 a.m. which gave us about 30 minutes to browse on our own. We never did see the guide with a sign but ran into him purely by accident. The tour was supposed to be 2 hours of sightseeing first which he flipped to do shopping first. I would not recommend this tour. It seemed like we were just picked up by another tour company and didn't really have the experience expected.
Grand Turk Island
My favorite port excursion. We spent an hour wandering the shops which was more than enough time unless you are looking specifically for jewelry. The beach was beautiful. What made this port great was the dune buggy excursion we scheduled through Carnival. The guides were very knowledgeable and the overall excursion was a blast.
Don't Miss: Dune buggy adventure
We scheduled a tour through Island Marketing and ended up being the only people on the tour. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and provided a great overview of Nassau.
Don't Miss: Queen's staircase was amazing and definitely try the conch fritters....yum