Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A very "Average" Cruise

Sail Date: July 17, 2010

I thought I was embarking on another relaxing cruise, complete with great food, great entertainment, and great service. Unfortunately, it did not even come close to my expectations. The food was average at best. The noise was unbelievably loud and the service was well below average overall. I'm sure a lot of my frustrations had to do with there being 1200 mostly out of control kids on the cruise.

I've been on 8 previous cruises with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian and had enjoyed each one. This time, I splurged a little more than usual and chose a balcony room. The room was nice and it would have been well worth the extra money to have added luxury of a balcony, had it not been for all of the noise we heard from the deck above. We were directly below the entertainment deck and heard chairs being dragged across the floor and stomping all day and night. It was so loud that we had to put ear plugs in while we were sleeping.

The food was not what I had come to expect from my previous cruises either. It wasn't that the food was all that bad, it just was unremarkable.

The staff, for the most part (exceptions being the tipped employees), were not friendly and in many instances very rude to us as well as fellow passengers.

Two bright spots on this experience were the ports of call and the ship decor. I do highly recommend the excursions especially the snorkeling in Cozumel and the falls in Jamaica.

I will definitely go another cruise with Carnival but only if I'm bringing my kids. Otherwise, I think I will go with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian. They may cost a little more, but the food and service are well worth the difference.

Pros: Ports of Call

Cons: Food, Noise, Service

Recommends Carnival Liberty? No.

The Mayan Ruins were not at all what I was expecting. It is literally a little 4 foot high pyramid building and that's pretty much it. I was expecting these tall pyramids and was definitely disappointed. What the ruins lacked, the snorkeling more than made up for, however. It was simply amazing. Everyone should do it if given the chance. I have to say, it was kind of hard getting used to the mask and flippers, but once I started seeing the underwater life, I became mesmerized and it was simply breath taking. Another plus to this excursion, was seeing the crocidiles in their natural environment. That was amazing seeing these huge crocs up close and personal. I do highly recommend this excursion, you won't be disappointed.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
George Town, Grand Cayman
Everything was very expensive.