Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean

Lots of fun & lots of crowds!

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

Overall we greatly enjoyed the cruise. The ship was beautiful and every area was immaculate--at least for most of the day. The food was delicious and there were lots of alternatives to the traditional dining room. I especially liked the adults-only pool area and hot tubs.

Having said that, there was no way to get a deck chair anywhere close to either pool unless we arrived by 8 am and didn't leave for more than a few minutes. There is a policy of not being allowed to save chairs, but that didn't stop many other passengers from doing just that! When I showed up at 9 am one morning every chair around both pools and the decks anywhere close to the pools were marked as taken with towels--but no one was in any of them and the ship's staff did nothing about it! We had almost no opportunity to get in the hot tubs in any areas as they were almost always full--I think we got in them twice in seven days.

We wanted to try the deli, burrito bar, and stir-fry station but rarely had the opportunity as there seemed to be long lines much of the time. I waited 15 mins for a burrito, and probably as long or longer another day for a stir-fry. The deli might have been a 10-min wait in early afternoon. We couldn't even get close to the midnight buffet because of the crowds and lines!

Pros: Elegant, nice stateroom, great facilities

Cons: Not enough deck chairs, long lines for many dining options

Recommends Carnival Liberty? Yes!

The ship is huge! Cleanliness, condition of public areas, etc, etc all fine, although sometimes the bathrooms would get pretty bad by late afternoon to early evening, especially in the pool areas. I really liked everything and blew off the negatives.
Harry's restaurant ($30 extra) worth every penny! Food, service & ambiance in the main dining room (Silver Olympian) was superb, and the nightly showtimes in the dining room added to the experience. Our waitstaff gave us outstanding service.

Although there were many more dining options available (pizza, deli, burrito, buffet) often they were not much of an option because of long waits (other than the buffet). Food selection for the buffet at Emile's was excellent, and I really liked the way they changed things every day and always had an international line.
We had a balcony stateroom and found it very comfortable and immaculately clean. The steward was unobtrusive but every time we went out, the room was freshened up before we returned.
Most of the staff was excellent and well above & beyond. The exceptions were at the grill & bar near the main pool. My husband asked for a tonic water a certain way and they ignored his request...he asked at the grill for a well-done hamburger and asked them to put it back on the grill & they actually refused to do so! The pizzeria lost his order as well, so he didn't have a chance to eat before going on an excursion. But I don't want to blow these annoyances out of proportion, because the service in the main dining room was amazing, as was at Harry's and also around the ship in general.