Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Pleasant Trip and First Time Cruise

Sail Date: June 27, 2009

This was our first cruise, so some of our impressions were because we expected something slightly different. So I am aiming this review at first time cruises without children. The Carnival Liberty itself was perfectly fine, it did feel a bit closed in, compared to the pictures from other people's cruises and experiences. From our perspective it did feel closed in given the 3000+ people on the ship. This by itself was fine, there's not much to be done the ship is what it is, my biggest complaint was that there were only 2 places that were adult only, one was the cigar bar (which was comfortable and quiet) and the other were the hot tubs on the aft of the ship. The crew did a good job keeping the kids out of them, as the entire ship was over run by families. So if you do have a family there was always something to do, and the ship really does cater toward families. The crew worked very hard to keep the ship clean, and for the most part it was comfortable.

We cruised to two ports that used a gangway and Grand Cayman that used a tender. I actually preferred the tender as the whole process felt organized, rather than just a huge crush of people leaving the ship all at once.

So the only reason I don't recommend this ship is solely because for a couple I don't think this is the atmosphere for them, for a family however I would recommend the ship.

Pros: Shore excursions and Hospitality

Cons: The food and too dictatorial with your personal time.

Recommends Carnival Liberty? No.

The Lido deck was extremely loud and the layout seemed to be such that they just shoved chairs wherever they could and in great number, so it leant for a loud crowded feel.
Harry's Supper Club was actually very good, however that was just one meal for us. They did cater to a gluten free diet extremely well, as my companion is gluten free. However, they did not really season anything, so the overall goal was butter and cream based flavorings, which is not what I like, and the only other option would be red meat, potatoes or deep fried. They also never reflected the cuisine of the region we were cruising in, and given how short a period of time you are allowed in each port of call, I would have liked at least one menu item to represent the cuisine of the area.
We did not like the beds and as we were in an interior stateroom we did not have a window Optional lights that you could set on a timer that gradually turned on would have helped waking up. The cleanliness, promptness and friendliness was superior, but really the room was just a basic hotel room.
We opted out of almost every on board activity, so I cannot down grade them for something I did not participate in, that was my choice. I did not like how much I was made to feel like I should have been doing the activities, simply for the number of times it felt like we were being told to go do them. The Shore Excursions were fantastic though and so I'm basing my rating on their shore excursions, prompt, friendly and everything we did was well worth it.
Everyone on working on the ship was phenomenal and it was hard to tell them no, as we would love to be on a cruise or in a resort with the staff on the ship. They catered to a gluten free diet, they worked hard to remember you when they saw you in other parts of the ship. They were all happy to share their experiences and perspectives, and always with a smile. I cannot recommend the staff of the Carnival Liberty enough.
We are also definitely going back. We visited Tulum, so I have no review of Cozumel itself. We had a great time, and while there was panhandling, that was easily handled with a simple no. This was great, educational and comfortable. Even though there were 7 busses from just our ship at this activity it did not feel over run, we were told that during high season it would feel crowded, so pick your time carefully.
George Town, Grand Cayman
We got in early, and could use public transportation to get around, so we had the ability to get up to 7 mile beach, explore a bit of the area shops, AND had a fantastic shore excursion (Snuba), we only wished we had more time to eat dinner and relax. We are definitely going back. We also did an activity that was not the most popular, so we beat the crowds that reportedly happened at Stingray city.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
We had a great shore excursion, so that aspect was fine. What I did not like was that you could not, and were not recommended to explore on your own. The atmosphere of the island, the culture of begging was off putting. However, I DO recommend going and walking up the falls, it was beautiful