Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A disappointing experience

Sail Date: March 25, 2007

While the ship itself was not a disappointment, there was no day on the cruise when something did not go wrong that wasn't either a malfunction in the service system of the cruise, or a problem with the shore excursions. (Example: A roomservice call that got lost and took three hours and two callbacks to recieve.)

The attitude and behavior of the crew was impeccable, but the Freeport snorkel tour was especially unpleasant. The seas were much too rough for snorkeling and the other snorkeling excursions had cancelled, but being first time snorkelers we did not know any better and went out. The crew of the snorkeling boat failed to assist us when we waved for help, and my 75 year old grandmother would have drowned if I did not have lifeguard training when I was a teenager.

Pros: The food was good, and the crew were very nice.

Cons: The shore excursions were a disaster, and there need to be more avenues for passengers to meet one another when they haven't come with friends.

Recommends Carnival Liberty? No.

Generally the layout of the ship is good, but it is a bit confusing to navigate due to the location of one of the dining halls. Getting from the front to the back of the ship, especially to certain venues on board takes a few days to figure out, which caused us to miss some onboard activities in the first few days of the cruise.
Due to the shore excursion incident, I cannot recommend the activities on this cruise.
Our room was quite nice.
The crew were very polite and helpful, several of the crew members went out of their way to talk to me when I was clearly lonely on the last days.
Nothing negative to say about the food, other than a lack of Mt. Dew soda pop and sourdough bread.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
The shopping center where the taxis dropped us off for the snorkel tour was quite nice. The food was good, and the prices were surprisingly low for tourist-focused shopping.
George Town, Grand Cayman
The tender process was a bit disorganized, probably due to there being four cruise ships in port at once. The area nearby was much more typical of what I would expect in a tourist shopping center. The prices were very high and they focused on luxury items, alcohol, and trinkets.
Don't Miss: Big Black Dick's Rum