Carnival Legend Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cancelled all mainland shore excursions because it wasn't worth Carnival's investment

Sail Date: October 21, 2013

This was my first and last Carnival cruise for one primarly reason: they seem to forget that most people book cruises to a specific location because they actually want to go to that location.  Our ports of call were Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  The night before one our pre-paid, pre-planned shore excursion booked through Carnival from Cozumel island to mainland Yukatan Peninsula, we were advised all mainland excursions were cancelled because they only had 70 of the 80 needed people to sign up for mainland excursions.  I've never been there before and didn't feel confident to make the connections myself but that was a central part of my vacation plan.  I would have understood if they cancelled because of weather or mechanical issues.  But I don't understand why they would rather dissapoint 70 people who pre-paid and planned on that part of their trip instead of trying to make it right for those paying customers.  There are too many other cruise lines out there that go to this port.  Next time I'll pick one of the others.  Service on the ship was okay, not exceptional and there was no control over the chair hoggers that save lounge chairs on the decks.  The food and service at the main dining room was quite good but the buffet was generally limited choices and usually not kept well heated.  The only shows I saw were Justin Illusion (good dance routines but illusions weren't anything jaw-dropping) and Jazz Hot (I found this to be a waste of time as the singers only briefly  touched on actual Jazz music - since when is "It's Raining Men" a Jazz song?). There really wan't much variety in the crew led activities on board unless you want to play trivia.  It would have been nice if they actually had some sort of nature or educational lectures based on the region.

What is up with the urns everywhere? Rooms kept clean and public space well cleaned and not cluttered.
Depends on where. Main dining room was great. Buffet ok but never compelling enough to eat more than necessary.
Clean and attentive cabin personnel.
Customer service desk and other personnel mostly helpful. Completely disgusted at the lack of assistance or responsibility by shore excursion personnel.
OK bordering on Bad. On board activities limited (other than pools, casino, spa). No educational lectures and no port shopping advice. Night performances were ok or poor and would not pay any money to see them.
No educational or port shopping information. Handed some coupons as I got off the boat but no information on the port, culture, environment, etc.
Rated Bad not because of the ports themselves but because Carnival failed to live up to advertised shore excursions pre-booked by cancelling excursions late the night before scheduled port of call.
Tampa, Florida
The aquarium near cruise terminal 2 (used by Carnival) is nice but only limited other things to do/see around the area.
George Town, Grand Cayman
People are very nice, stingray city is a must-do.
Cozumel island is nice but main cultural thing to see is San Gervasio and only takes a short time.

If you plan to use pool on a sea day, get there before 9:00 am to get a chair or they will all be "held" by towels. If your budget permits, book a balcony room (especially extended). Think about booking shore excursions on your own - don't leave your plans up to the whims of Carnival.