Carnival Legend Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

total review

Sail Date: August 01, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

A little about me and my family: This was our 10th cruise (3rd on Carnival) my daughters are 8 and 11 yrs old. We usually get two cabins (adjoining) and travel with 4 to 8 other family members.
To start: embarking was good; we arrived early (around 11:30) and were on the ship in about 40 min. Lunch buffet was good and as on every ship (except Disney) everyone was pushing us to purchase drinks.
Safety (Lifeboat) drill: here is where is started to go downhill. During the drill a woman (that had way too much to drink) got sick on the deck. The crew didnt know what to do, there were only 5 of them around. Finally an Officer showed up and directs the crew to call 911 and get the ship medic to look at the woman. She was taken away on a gurney. The BIG problem it took two days before anyone cleaned up the throw up (and I think it was done by the rain). I know because it was just below my cabin balcony.
The food was good but not as varied as other cruise lines especially the desserts as they only changed one or two each night. The waiters were very slow to serve and often forgot where they were on each table and brought us the wrong food. Drinks were even slower. I was lucky to get a drink from the bar once during dinner service and on most nights someone from the table went to the bar to get the drinks. This included sodas; which on other cruise lines after the first night my soda was on the table every night without me having to ask.
Bar service throughout the ship was very slow. I actually time the service several days while sitting by the pool and 4:22 was the average time to serve each drink. Sodas were the worst as the server had to swipe your card and compare you photo to ensure that someone else was not using your soda card. I have never seen this on other cruise lines.
The Casino: Getting drinks in the casino was easy unless you wanted water. Waiters just would not bring water; they only wanted to bring drinks they made money on. Carnival does c

Pros: the speed of getting off the ship (I was really impressed only 20 min)

Cons: bar service and camp carnival

Recommends Carnival Legend? No.

there were at least 2 times people got sick and it took from 45 mins to 2 days before it was cleaned up
The food was average but lacked varity I have found on other cruise lines.
The cabin was good and kept very clean by the steward
Other then the cabin steward most of the ship staff was at or below average
the shows were good and I enjoyed the family and adult show
the 9-11 yr old group had a very weak program There was limited structure and out of 9 cruises this was the worst kids camp; according to my kids