Not the best value for the money...

Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review to Mexico

4 Night Baja Mexico (Los Angeles Roundtrip)
Sail Date: December 19, 2011
Ship: Carnival Inspiration
The ship is clean and well tended, but had some odd smells, like in the elevators. We noticed the smell of vomit when we checked in. The whirlpool at the 1 pool (yes, 1 small, 4 foot 9 inch deep pool!) smelled like poop one night and we had to ask to have it shut down.The main drawback was really the weather; which is not Carnivals problem. But a cold cruise overcrowds the whirlpools and spa workout areas, (which are reasonably nice, BTW) as people seek warmth and activity. . The food was no better in the fancier sit down areas than the buffet-with the exception of dessert. (I already spoke about dinner desserts in the buffet/brasserie, dont bother). We cruised on the Royal Caribbean Mariner on a similiar cruise 2 years ago, and it had 2 pools, a rock climbing wall, and better food.

I never dined in our assigned dining room because seating was just too late. I was travelling with kids and a 90YO Dad, no one wanted to wait til 8:15 to eat. Food was, overall: fair to good.

We did not see a show, sorry. For what I thought would be a low cost cruise, my total expense for a 5 night trip, with Dad paying his own wasy, was $3600. I am disappointed in this vacation.

The activities for kids are good, but a weak spot was the 12-14 YO age group. My boy only found 1 activity he was excited about, laser tag. The other nite I allowed him to stay up til 2am was a letdown, the kids were just watching a movie, so he sat alone and didnt speak to anyone! No effort to engage the kids together was made by staff. The spa staff was terrific with my 9YO girl during their "pampering" activity.

I had a terrific massage on the Carnival Inspiration! The massuese took it upon herself to add a $46 tip (the same as the room steward and dining staff get for all 4 days! Which I did not like), then hard sold me on tremendously overpriced cremes and lotions (which I did not buy).
My Dad and I left a very overly loud, hard sell presentation on how to get a deal on your next Carnival cruisebefore it ended. This gal was so loud over the speakers in the room that even my elderley Dad, who is hard of hearing, wanted to leave. The stateroom attendant was very good, as were the maitre d Dario, and his staff. Thanks for helping us get earlier seating!

Who in the world dreamt up the purple sea kelp motif in the Brasserie (?!?! if that is what it is! We asked the staff, no one knew ...) These grow uglier to you as the trip progresses. The other decor was nice. ..

We had an odd cabin, a three person for me and my kids. The function is really to be an adjoining room with parents. I dont recommend this cabin. The ventilation, with no balcony, was poor. We could not dry bathing suits in the room without them getting very smelly mildew. Strange. The larger rooms looked nice, we booked late and had to take what we could get.

Pros: Maitre D Dario, Cabin attendant Raul and Lorenzo, dining hostess Vlada

Cons: Desserts at dinner buffet in Brasserie, inabbility to get anytime dining in Carnivale Room, Stateroom

Recommends Carnival Inspiration? No.