Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Perfect weekend getaway

Sail Date: February 01, 2009

This cruise is a perfect long weekend getawy for those of us who live near the port. I've been on many 7 day cruises that feel a bit frantic because of being in a new port almost every day. This cruise has only one port, Cozumel, and 2 days at sea. We relaxed before and after Cozumel and arrived home fully refreshed.
I've taken this cruise before and was familiar with the ship and itinerary. It's my first time on since the refurbishment, which I would give an overall positive review. The interior finishes in the hallways and cabins are much improved, with woodgrain replacing garish metal finishes. The atrium is even more gaudy than before, but that's okay. As a childless adult, I'm less than thrilled that they took what was a great rear pool/hot tub area and turned it into a kid's water park. Incidentally, that also eliminated the tops optional deck around the whale tail. The adult serenity area is far too small, especially in February when there are very few children on board.
The food was what I expected, not superb but a very good value.
In Cozumel, we rented a Jeep from Hertz. For future reference, Alamo and Avis are right at the port and more convenient. We took the highway east to the other side of the island and then headed north through the "posted" area on quite possibly the worst "road" I've ever driven. It was perfect! Very rocky in places, you could barely go 2 mph. The beaches were deserted, but very littered with jetsam that had washed up from who knows where. We went about 1.5 hours and came to a military camp. There were 7 soldiers with one tower for lookout, tents and a soccer field and volleyball court for recreation. They were raising their own food and got their water from a Jack and Jill type well, with a bucket. They took our names and vehicle info and let us go further north. At this point, we were totally alone and took advantage of our own private beach:)
This drive was not for the faint of heart, but a much greater adventure than following 10 other jeeps in formation on a tight schedule. We got back to town around 2:30, did a little shopping and got back on board.
Self disembarkation was a little hectic and we waited 50 minutes in the midship elevator lobby before we began to move. When we finally moved, it was another 25 minutes before we were clear of the terminal, around 9:30. I recommend going to the forward elevators and then down to the 7th deck to disembark. People who did that called their friends who were standing next to us about 30 minutes before we ever moved - they were already home!
All in all, the trip delivered exactly what I needed.

Pros: Total relaxation

Cons: Weather wasn't perfect

Recommends Carnival Inspiration? Yes!