Service was worse than an average hotel, food was mediocre, cabin had odor because of paint and septic tank

Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Mexico

4 Night Catalina & Baja Mexico (Los Angeles Roundtrip)
Sail Date: June 22, 2014
Ship: Carnival Imagination
Cabin Type: Suite
Cabin Number: V38

I must have hit a bad cruise for my first cruise.

- Food was not as good as my average resturaunt.

Cold steaks and fish that must have been mishandled - it tasted terrible.

- Service was poor both in cabin and at dinner.

Called and asked for ice - then ~45minutes later I called again and was told that they had no record of my request.

Waited ~2.5 hours to be seated for dinner.

When I grew tired of waiting for a food server to come to discuss the bad steak and fish and ate the sides/bread.   When the server finally arrived ~35minutes later they asked about the food (stil on the plates) we said it was unacceptable.  They asked why I hadn't said something earlier.  My response was "I would have if there were someone around to tell".

- Cabin smelled from a combination of paint and septic tank.

Crew was painting outside my balcony filling the cabin with fumes  And when I called to ask that it stop nothing happened.  After ~90minutes I asked the crewman to stop.  He did after a few minutes.

When I complained about the septic smell there was no evidence of any action.  The smell dimished because we left the door open.  It built up when the door was closed.

I hear great things about cruises service and food.  There was none of that evident on my cruise.  When I sent feedback via the website after the cruise I got a relatively generic "sorry" response.

Luckily, we spent a lot of time outside of the cabin and we changed the timing for dinner as well as requested seating in a different location.  The service improved somewhat with a different server.  The food also improved a bit.  So, I speculate that this was either time of day or server related.

Not the experience one expects for a long established cruise lines.

See comments

Better is available at the local college bars

See comments

Other than the smells the cabin was nice. Obstructed view was not an issue for us.

Nag a lot. Maybe that is what we did wrong.

Not a lot to do- Zip line was fun
Purchase excursions when you land. We paid $30 for two for excursion. Pre-paid was $45 each.