Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Just Alight

Sail Date: March 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on the Carnival Imagination to Key West and Cozumel and we had fun, but a lot of things about the ship and the experience annoyed me.
1. The cleanliness of the ship: There were quite a few spots under construction. There were parts of the deck that were blocked off and there would be people doing maintenance during the day really loudly. For example, when we got on the ship there was a person doing construction to part of the deck with a saw and loud tools right by where we were eating. Shouldn't that kind of things happen at night? or when the guests are off the ship?
2. The food: I have been on a number of cruises in the past and this is the least satisfactory cruise food I have experienced. The buffets were often bland (Chicken fingers, french fries, burgers, etc.). They did however have a deli that was amazing, we ate there multiple times a day! Also, the ice cream was good, just as expected.
3. The staff: Overall the staff was great and we met wonderful people. However there were a few people that ruined it for everyone. For example, the man who was selling drinks in the dining room told us that we would receive $5 Casino credit when we bought certain drinks. Sounded like a good deal to us to we went for it. He did not mention that the $5 was just in addition to a $5 we had to put down on top of it. And the credit was only limited to 3 games in the casino. I just felt like I was manipulated.
4. Professionalism: This burns me up the most. We were supposed to arrive in Key West at 12:00 so I purchased parasailing tickets (not through the ship) for 1:00. By the time we docked in Key West it was 1:15!!!! We had to go through Immigration and by the time we got off the ship it was 2:00. The time we had to be back on board was 7:30. Because we docked on a military base we had to take a trolley back to the ship and the last trolley left at 6:00. We ended up losing out on so much time at Key West because of lack of planning on the part of the cruise.
5. Value: My boyfriend and I are not cheap people but we thought the price of the drinks and excursions on the ship were extremely high and unreasonable. Each drink has a 15% tip added in. So each drink came to about $10. We even bought a souvenir cup and it came to about $20 and we got even less drink in the cup. The shore excursions were ridiculous and we did not even book them. We looked into parasailing through the cruise and it was $90 a piece. We found it through a local company in Key West for $40. I would never book a shore excursion through a cruise ship!!!
6. Entertainment: I thought the ship lacked things to do during the day. We had one day at sea. There were deck parties planned but because it rained everything was cancelled. A LOT of the activities did not have a plan B so there was a lot of sitting around being bored. Also we went to one of the stage shows at the beginning of the cruise and we walked out because it was so bad. It was performers singing songs about cities. It was not worth sitting though. However, we did enjoy the comedy shows that were on the ship.

The destinations were a lot better than the cruise itself
Old ship. Only one tiny pool!
Not impressed with the food.
We liked our stateroom!
We met a lot of great people, but not all.
We were bored a lot. Shows were not great. Comedy was pretty great.
Kids looked like they were having fun.
Not a lot to do... We found ourselves bored a lot!
We loved Key West and Cozumel. We didnt do an excursion
Miami, Florida
Nothing special
We got there at 7:00 (our time 5:00am there time) No one was awake and nothing was open right away. They dropped us off at a strip mall. We walked far to find a beach
Key West, Florida
Loved it... Just we arrived about 2 hours late and had to be back on the ship 4 hours later.

1 Comment