Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A bad first time curise Experience

Sail Date: March 01, 2012

To be fair, the food at the Spirit and Pride dinner room was good. Mongolian Wok offered 2 out of three lunch days was tasty and fun. The main shows and comedians are entertaining, the facilities are even ok for an older ship for a short 4 days journey.

What kills the experience is the people, both the fellow passengers and some service crew. Half of the crew was friendly and eager to answer questions. The rest was just there doing their job. I expect the Carnival crew would be warmer and more enthusiastic to serve, after all, it's called "the fun ship". Out of the 4 times I called Guest services, 3 of them I had to wait for the phone to ring at least 12 rings before it's answered. Granted the times I called were either really early in the morning (6 AM in the morning to let the guest service know my deck was very noisy with people slamming their doors, screaming and laughing really loud in the hall way, so my 70 year old mother and I both had terrible sleeps and woke up really early) ), late at night (like 3 AM in the morning because the fellow passengers decided to continue their party last night and thought all others should join by shouting, and cheering at 3 AM), or at their busy time (l9 PM the night before debarkation so lots of people might have questions and I would think Carnival would assign additional staff to answer questions with 900 crew on board). Our table waitress also seemed to be disinterested and somehow cold. When I asked a usual question " What's good tonight?" She'd answer " It's up to you, everyone is different". Then when we had lunched at Pride dinner room, it was over 95% empty. I asked for the table by the window so my mother can see the awesome ocean view on her first cruise, the waiter said to me, " the table by the window is for 4, you only have 2, you will need to share a table when other people come in". I told him we will be fine sharing. He then had us wait for another 5 minutes before he would sit us by the window since he had to go all the way to the front to change the seat assignment then came back. Surprising enough, we didn't have to share the table as the restaurant was still about 95% empty when we finished our meal. I mean, it was pretty obviously you will not have a full house when your dinning room is 95% empty at 12:30 PM, supposedly the busiest lunch time, wouldn't it be easier just to reply "sure, let me arrange for you"?

Now the worst part, the fellow passengers that stopped you from ever having a restful night on the ship. It's spring break time so I guess there is no surprise you have loud collage kids everywhere on the ship to have a good time. I understand that. But I do not believe having a good time means you have to shout in all the public areas and leave your doors open to scream across the hall to attract girls at the other side of the hall to go to your room. It's probably half Carnival's fault for having room doors and walls with poor sound proof. Carnival must have a lot of experiences with complains about their loud and rude passengers but they don't seem to make an effort to prevent that. If Carnival can print their Environmental policy and "help us greenify" on their daily flyers, there is no reason they couldn't make a point to add a simple "be considerate to your fellow passenger, keep it down in the stateroom area". I also think they can easily put a sign by the elevator, hallways to remind their guests to be considerate to others so everyone can enjoy the vacation. Or simply just add a few word during their frequent public announcements. When I made that suggestion to the guest service crew, I got a simple "we just can't do that".

I believe part of the reason for the terrible experience I am having is Carnival's low price attracts the wrong crowd. While the cruising itself seems to be a nice enough idea, I would not go with a budget Carnival again. Spending the extra few bucks to find a higher end cruise is definitely worth it.

Pros: Food, destination, shows

Cons: stateroom sound proof, some of the food service crew

Recommends Carnival Imagination? No.