Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Changed itinerary and all I got was $8!!

Sail Date: October 01, 2011

Booked Miami to Cozumel. Due to weather our itinerary was switched to Nassau and Freeport!! Ugh. Nassau was fun. Snorkeled and spent the rest of the day drinking in Senor Frogs- highly suggest the snorkeling. Freeport was a joke. Got a 1990 Corolla with spare tire on one wheel for $70 to find there was nowhere to drive-- don't bother disembarking. Because our itinerary changed so drastically we spent an extra day "at sea".. which literally meant the boat TURNED OFF ITS MOTOR and bobbed in the middle of the ocean with nowhere to go for a whole day between ports!!! And, Carnival graciously credited me $8. That's right, $8 credited to my ship account for the change. That will not even buy a drink on the boat. Everything pricey. Two drinks from waiter walking the pool deck $7.50 each but turned to $19 for two on my tab due to "fees". Everything like this. Snorkeling in Nassau was the exception- cheap and fun-- $40 a person and it was incredible. Do spring for the new snorkel from the front desk. Do not suggest this cruise line for anything other than a spring breaker with tons of money for booze. Nobody looking for good food or good entertainment will be satisfied here.

Pros: My room staff

Cons: The food

Recommends Carnival Imagination? No.

I'm a bit of a foodie so this was terrible to me. However, many people liked the food so it could be I am over picky. The options were all "cheap". Cheap meats, lots of starches and breads and little quality, stale bread products at breakfast, everything watered down. There was a sandwich station that served a "reuben". The thousand island dressing was so watered down that it was translucent. No taste. However, dining staff was very nice. Suggest seated dining for dinner as the food there was significantly better than any of the buffett-styled dining on the pool deck. Breakfast omelet station was good. Chocolate melting cake the best thing going.
The ship is dated. Much of the carpet is beginning to be worn. The decor is not modern. But it is clean, which in my opinion trumps modern any day.
Room attendant was great. Timely bed turndown, towel animals, etc. Couldn't figure out when he slept because he was always working on the rooms. Dining staff good, not excellent. The first day my waiter brought me the wrong thing for soup, entre, and dessert... maybe having an off day.
Though the staff tried to keep the travelers entertained, it was sad. No Vegas-style show. There was a comedian (only so-so). Lot of scavenger hunts and hairy chest contests hosted by the staff, but it seemed like the same three staff members hosted everything. No entertainers per se except for a reggae husband/wife team equipped with a keyboard a la karaoke night.
Room was dated, as was the rest of the ship and I kept my shoes on the whole time I was in my room because the carpet was sticky (gross!). But it was visually clean and I didn't cringe in the shower. Bed fairly comfortable. We had the cheapest, smallest room and it felt like it. I suggest an upgrade if you can swing it. Location-wise, it seemed all rooms were convenient to elevators and stairs. Elevators were very fast.