My first and last cruise

Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Carnival Imagination

invalid-31690

Sail Date: October 17, 2011

Ship: Carnival Imagination

Cabin Type: Suite

Review Summary

Not ever having been on a cruise before my wife and I thought we would dip our toes in the water by taking a short 4 day cruise to Cozumel via Key West. Boarding was delayed two hours and we had to stand in a crowded line while the problem was sorted out. There was no explanation why we were delayed. Due to inclement weather in the Western Caribbean the itinery was chaged to the Bahamas. We were not told of this change until we were on board. Had we known we would have not proceeded as we have been to the Bahamas many times before. The suite we had was very comfortable and the steward very helpful and pleasant. The food was good but not exceptional. We immediately formed the strong impression the cruise line was out to get as much money from us as possible. The food at meal times is of course included but everything else is extra, and at a high mark up. I am a generous tipper but I like to decide who I tip and how much - depending upon the level of service. Carnival automatically add 15% gratuity to all charges and then have the affrontery to strongly suggest you tip the maitre d' at the end of the trip. They even provide an envelope specially for the tip. The day at sea was sheer boredom. I was told by other experienced cruisers that this vessel was not as well equipped as some others so perhaps we were just unlucky with the ship we chose. Disembarkation was very well organised and I was pleasantly surprised when we were off the ship and waiting for a taxi all within half an hour. I am sure many people would be very satisfied with their experiences on this ship but I am afraid I will not be cruising again.

Ship Experiences

Limited and fairly low intelligence.

Pros: Jeep excursion in Freeport

Cons: Boredom, especially day at sea.

Recommends Carnival Imagination? No.