Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Good Cruise.

Sail Date: September 05, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Overall, the ship was fine for what it was, which was a Carnival Cruise. Carnival will just never measure up to Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Having said that, this was my 3rd Carnival cruise, and by far the best Carnival experience I have had. The cabins were spacious, the showers in the cabins were nice (especially the removable-handle shower massage), and there were a lot of television channes from which to choose.

The wait staff at dinnertime was very helpful and patient, especially with my children. Food at dinnertime was generally good, but the food at the buffet's left a lot to be desired at all times. If you ate breakfast or lunch at the buffet's, you left feeling like McDonald's would have been a better choice. Breakfast in the main dining room, however, was quite good.

The ports of call were good, but more time should have been allowed at Key West. It would be difficult to do this unless the ship went to cozumel first, and it does seem like Carnival should consider this. There is a lot to do in Key West and not enough time to do it all--actually, not enough time to do hardly anything. I did make it to Hemingway House for a guided tour, and that was wonderful. In cozumel, I had to cancel a dive due to congestion, so instead went to the Dolphin Experience. I highly recommend this tour, it was great to see the dolphins up-close and get to touch them.

Pros: The wait staff was very friendly and helpful, s was Guest Services.

Cons: The Children's area needs a lot of help. It was more like dropping off your kids at a day-care facility. There needs to be more interction betweend the kids and the staff, and more and varied activities need to be planned.

Recommends Carnival Imagination? Yes!

This area needs a complete makeover, starting with the staff and ending with the way Camp Carnival was run. My kids usually LOVE the kid areas, but this wa like taking them to a drop-in day care. What few planned activities there were were poorly organized, and both my children begged not to go back after the first day. this is an area where Carnival should take a good look at how Royal Caribbean runs their youth programs and copy them!
As stated above, the buffet needs better food as well as a bigger variety. Sure, there's 24-hour pizza, but it tastes like Domino's did 30 years ago. And room service wasn't much better.
The comedians were great. I did not attend any other shows.
I was unable to dive due to a cold, and Guest Services refunded my money and booked me on the Dolphin Experience. They were very understanding and accommodating.
The Dolphin Experience was excellent. Diving was supposed to be great as well, but I missed it due to a cold.
Don't Miss: The Dolphin Experience.
Key West, Florida
I only got to get to Hemingway House, and I highly recommend the guided tour.