Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Very, Very Mixed Experience

Sail Date: July 26, 2010

This cruise and I have taken many was average in most areas and completely unacceptable in others as detailed below. The ship is not especially new or large. The staff ranged from very good to dreadful. The food was the low point, from below average to toxic at times. The trip was partially ruined by major inconsiderate behavior. The entertainment had one highlight but overall lacking.

Pros: Overall Clean

Cons: Food

Recommends Carnival Imagination? No.

Okay so here I go the food on this cruise, with the exception of burgers and pizza (how many times can you eat that) was dismal. Think at best Golden Corral with much less selection think at worst toxic. One particular lunch I was dining on highly overcooked fish and nearly raw potatoes when my wife said my stomach hurts, it cant be what Im eating could it? Well I tried her simple pasta dish and it had a toxic indescribable metallic acid taste. When this was pointed out to the waiter and we asked instead for the old hamburger instead he stated were closed now (2:03 pm were they swimming off the ship?). So, no lunch for me or my wife unless we hit the hamburger and pizza line by the pool again. Completely unacceptable.
The entertainment is lacking on this ship except for the fixed venues such as the bars and discos. There was one glowing exception, the adult comedian (Happy Cole) was fantastic see him if you get the chance. I mean, how many times can you do the bean bag toss contest? Karaoke every night. Is an art auction an activity? Highly overpriced Bingo an activity? There was a day at sea when there were no activities at all for a 4-5 hour span. How about taking one of those 12+ photogs and having him do a table tennis contest anything. Occasional scattered trivia contest.
Now you have to read this. On the first night at 2:45 am there was a HUGE crash of something directly above our heads. Okay, I know stuff happens. But then, at 3:15 am started a huge and loud symphony of sledge hammers, small hammers, grinders and as an encore pneumatic chisels throughout the rest of the night. LOUD (on iphone app 80-87 decibels IN OUR ROOM). In spite of calling everyone, no one would even acknowledge what was going on (must be a drunk person) and no one would stop. ALL NIGHT. Turns out, this repair could have easily waited until daytime (non-passenger door in service area). We had 2 cabins, and no one could take the shore excursion the next day due to no sleep. We changed rooms the next day and got a refund of get this - $23.02 per passenger. What an insult. After the room change, in the new room the shower drain kept overflowing into the bathroom. Gave average rating only because okay after room change.
We travelled with teens and they enjoyed the disco (too much every night was 4:00 am). Cannot comment on younger activities although did notice they had an area for young kids and a game room. Again, if you exclude the fixed venues, I did not see any activities for young children or teens.
Overall, the ship was clean in spite of passengers feeling they can leave their debris everywhere. The room was clean and the staff worked hard to keep it that way, the only downside was a strong stench of urine in the bathroom toilet.
The staff quality varied from very good (dining staff Spirit dining room) to unacceptable (see toxic food review). Another example of lack of caring: one breakfast we asked for warmed milk to put in the oatmeal we cannot do that huh? You cannot heat milk? Ordered fruit plate received a lone banana. We do not complain, but pretty ridiculous. Room steward staff very good.
We got off and rented scooters - very nice look at the island, no complaints beaches nice and snorkling as well. In my opinion however nearby Cancun is nicer (different trip). In spite of being careful, the "locals" cloned my credit card resulting (thank you Bank of America) in a fraud alert due to multiple unauthorized charges (Aeromexico.Com, etc.) and card cancellation. Use cash my brother.
Don't Miss: Getting your credit card number stolen.