You Get What You Pay For

Helpful Vote: 1

invalid-31690
Sail Date: November 15, 2007
Ship: Carnival Imagination
I think they were working the bugs out with our ship. First, their satellite went down. The information desk was overwhelmed with angry mobs of people (myself included) who were using their credit cards to purchase goods and gamble. I was not able to do either of these the first 24 hours of my trip. They kept telling me it was my bank's fault, and that was clearly NOT the case. Once that problem was fixed, the trip was much more pleasant. The rooms were pristine. Heck, they're new! They should be pristine! I had an interior room and it was comfortable for the two of us on this cruise. Our steward was very nice and extremely helpful!!! Food was something that left a lot to be desired. Again, I can only surmise that this was the maiden voyage since renovation, the kitchen was not in sync with one another yet. Our first morning, it took over an hour to get scrambled eggs and bacon. We opted to not do buffet because we wanted the pampered treatment. Over an hour? I don't need to be pampered that much. As for our dinner, we took the late seating. I would NEVER do that again. We seemed way too rushed to get to a late show, missing several minutes of each show. Our waiter seemed to pace us real slow, too. Others were getting their desserts while we were waiting for our entree. I just kept telling myself, no big deal, at least i'm eating. The food was mediocre. I would expect better soups and better selection on a cruise ship. Our table knew "melting cake" was a nightly selection -- called an alternative selection. How about a flourless chocolate cake? Is that too much to ask? No originality to the meals. Meats were OK. The shrimp were small, and when someone asked for more shrimp instead of dessert, she was turned down. I thought we were supposed to get what we wanted on a cruise. Again, working out the bugs, I guess.

The first thing Carnival does when you arrive is take $40 from each person as a tip for everyone. I think this approach makes for lazy help because they know to "expect" their tip. I would love it if they "held" the money, but had you decide if you want to give more or less. Frankly, my steward deserved more and my waiter a little bit less. His assistant deserved more. He tried. Also, the beverage girl was horrible in the dining area. We had to BEG to get her to come to our table.

Aside from the dining room and the problem with credit cards, this trip was a lot of fun. This is the second time I have traveled Carnival, and I know to expect less with them. I think I got a good deal, though.

Carnival should be ashamed of themselves for their poor selection and staff training.

One big show, other then that, the comedian was "eh" at best. Karaoke was fun!

I went on the Ghosts & Legends Tour - it was a lot of fun!!!!
Don't Miss: Duval Street
I went on the Ghosts & Legends Tour - it was a lot of fun!!!!
Don't Miss: Duval Street
Calica is a place where the ship docks. There is nothing, and I mean nothing there. They have tents set up with chackis, t-shirts and beer. The vendors left a lot to be desired.
Don't Miss: Dolphin Swim - OMG this was unbelieveable!!!! They are so amazing!!!

Pros: Value, Excursions, Ship (it's newly refurbed)

Cons: Food, Information Desk

Recommends Carnival Imagination? Yes!