Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Horrible Carnival Cruise Ripped OFF!!

Sail Date: September 30, 2006

We paid for a 5 day cruise to Ochos Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, Grand Cayman Islands.

We had completed the boarding procedures and moments before we were handed our room keys, we were told that the itinerary would be changed. The ships engines needed repaired and we would be spending 1 day in Naussau and 3 days in Freeport Bahamas, where the ship engines would be repaired.

We were offered no other choice, no chance to reschedule, no options. We were given $100 shipboard credit, that is it. We would have gladly rescheduled to another date, but were told that was not an option. We asked about a refund and were told if we got off the boat, we would forfeit our money.

We had already booked our tours in Ochos Rios and grand Cayman, so i asked about an internet credit to change my excursion plans. I was told that there was no way to give every passenger an internet credit to change plans.

We had a fun day in Naussau, although we spent twice as much to snorkel there as we had booked to snorkel in Grand cayman. Our only regret is that because the ship was there out of schedule, the town was closed up by 3pm.

we then went to freeport. the port looked like it was in the center of an industrial shipyard. there were abandoned factories and a huge shipyard. Not at all what we expected for a caribbean port.

the dock was shut up except for a couple of small shops and a taxi stand. I t was 12 miles to the closest town and cost $10 per person. To sit on the beach cost $10 per person. It seemed that alot of the businesses heard about the broken down cruise ship, and prices were outlandish.

We stayed aboard the ship on the second day in port, and that was very boring.
the ship pools were closed, except for 1 pool. there were no bands playing on the pool deck, and very few activities. It would have been nice if carnival had arranged a bus shuttle to take us to town, and arranged with the hotel to let us use the beach for no charge. Or arranged to have the pools open, and a band playing. They had plenty of $20 bingos, but how about a no charge bingo to pass some time? there were so many chances to have made it a better experience, but no one on the staff seemed to know what to do.

On our 2nd day, we met a couple who wanted to split a boat charter to go deep sea fishing. we decided to do that the 3rd day in port. however, we soon were told that the boat would be leaving the port a day earlier then what we were told. (this was the 3rd change during a 5 day cruise)
That night, we left port for a day at sea, so that carnival could open the casinos. I am sure they wanted to make up that lost money.

So many passengers were upset that there was a passenger meeting in the show theater, led by 3 lawyers on board. the theater was full and approx 400 people signed up for a petition that was being drawn up to present to Carnival. If we are not offered compensation, we will consider a class action suit.

After we got back to our car, i called carnival customer service. I called while still in the parking garage, but the customer service reps told me that they had already gotten many calls regarding our cruise. they told me that no additional compensation was being given to the passengers of our cruise. I asked to speak with a supervisor, who told me that i was lucky to have gotten the shipboard credits, that Carnival did not usually even give that when they changed ports.

This was not an emergency or last minute situation. Carnival knew that the engines had problems 2 days before. The previous cruise was also changed because of the engine problems. carnival could have either offered to allow people to reschedule or offered refunds, instead, it held everyone hostage. Do what we say or lose your money.

So, I will never again sail with Carnival or any of the sister cruise lines that it operates.

Pros: nothing

Cons: Paid for a cruise to Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman, Got Nassau and Freeport