A great cruise on a lovely ship

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Horizon

8 Night Southern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 16, 2019

Ship: Carnival Horizon

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 12203

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

A cruise is what you make it. They provide ample entertainment and it is possible to avoid crowds (except pools). The staff was pleasant and helpful. We had no problems with elevators. Read instructions and super easy. I had a fabulous time and would go again in a heartbeat.

Embarkation

We were dropped off in front of the terminal. Walked in and never stopped till on the ship. My sister in law is Platinum so that probably helped.

Ship experiences

Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse

We opted for the lobster and it was great. Appetizer good. Service ok. They seemed a little distracted at first. Better as evening progressed.

Chef's Table

A lot of food. Really enjoyed the information and tour. Just felt guilty because I was full halfway through. The chef was great and offered interesting information. The kitchen is amazing. I would have enjoyed it more if not so much food. But I have a small appetite.

Serenity

Get there early or forget about getting a chair. Hot tub not hot. Barely warm.

Horizon Casino

Casino staff very nice and pleasant. I learned to go on off times to avoid crowded casino. Did not win but met some who did. Yes it is smoky at times. Easy to avoid by using early in day.

Cloud 9 Spa

We were in a spa balcony cabin. I had used the thermal spa on Norwegian epic so I was curious to compare. The spa staff were friendly and I was pleasantly surprised they were not as hard sell as previous cruises. Usually they are very pushy but big ship gives them more customers. The thermal pool was a 0 star. Uncomfortable and no space. Epic won hands down in that one. Steam rooms were great. Loved the radiant heat and three other steam rooms. Carnival beat epic by a small margin. Carnival thermal area and locker room very small compared to epic. So I definitely preferred epic spa to carnival. Got one massage and it was really good. Also used the hair salon and enjoyed that.

Carnival Seaside Theater

That was super fun. Great weather really helps. Had a pizza delivery for the show and sat back.

Carnival Multiplex

IMAX was great. Not many people in theater and enjoyed movie. No real popcorn......only packaged popcorn. I missed that smell walking in.

Ni was very friendly and efficient. We are pretty self sufficient and even showered in the spa. Cute towel animals and ice filled daily.

Beautiful.

Ports of call

La Romana, Dominican Republic

Was not going to get off this stop due to bad press. We booked a last minute ship excursion to Catalina island. Perfect weather for hanging on beach and snorkeling. Loved it

Oranjestad, Aruba

Did resort for a day at RIU. Great time.

Willemstad, Curacao

Hot that day. Ship arrived at 1pm to 10pm. Just walked around past bridge. Cute area but typical tourist stuff.

Grand Turk Island