CARNIVAL is Cutting Back Too Much!!!

Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Glory

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: March 17, 2018

Ship: Carnival Glory

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 6298

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

Overall the cruise was just ok. Each year I cruise, I realize that Carnival is constantly cutting corners. I know cruise lines are in business to make money but the cuts are really taking a toll. I'm paying more for the cruise each year and getting less value. Carnival has began charging extra for many things that were once included in the cruise price (see details of review) or have eliminated some perks altogether. I plan to began cruising Royal Carribean to compare the experience.

Embarkation

The embarkation process was seamless. This is because I am a platinum member. I checked in at customs and went straight to my room without having to check-in at the Carnival counter. My keys were waiting at my room as soon as I boarded the ship. This was the best embarkation process I experienced.

Ship experiences

The food options have decreased significantly. Every year I take a cruise I notice the food is getting worse. In addition, many of the healthier options (Mongolian) have been replaced with more high calorie option (burritos, Mexican food). The seafood shack (oysters, fish, conch fritters, etc) that use to be included in the cruise cost now cost extra. Also the sushi bar was also complimentary a few years ago. Carnival now charges for that service as well. In addition, the pizza bar has changed. Carnival no longer make the New York style pizza kids love; instead they place cubes of mozzarella cheese on the pizza (more of a mediterranean stlyle) instead of the shredded cheese. In years past, the ice cream selection would change every other day. However, during my seven day cruise we were only offered chocolate and vanilla (no strawberry).The chocolate bar that is offered one afternoon of the cruise has been eliminated. The late night Mexican buffet offered after the late night lido party has also been eliminated. The main dining room hasn't changed much. However, it does seem like the servers are required to service more tables slowing down the service.

Platinum Restaurant

Our server in the Platinum Dining Room (Jaoanna) was fantastic. She was the only reason I kept going to dinner every night. She made dinner fun.

Creams Cafe

the cake was not fresh, I returned it for a refund.

Red Sail Restaurant

the salad bar containers were always empty and I constantly had to ask the staff to refill the items. See review above.

Pizzeria

Pizza has changed from New York style to Mediterranean style (see review above).

Burrito Bar

Prefer the Mongolian bar instead, it was healthier and it tasted better.

The fitness center has not changed. Equipment was in working order and it was clean each time I visit. I always work out when I cruise. Glad to see they haven't start charging to use the gym. I went to all the shows each night, they were just ok. I also went to the comedy club each night. I would prefer more quality acts but I guess Carnival can't control the content of the comedian shows. Did not use the pool/hot tub due to them constantly being overcrowded. Karaoke was fun however, there was a problem with the equipment each night. It would be nice if Karaoke lasted longer than 11pm for those who don't want to go the night clubs. The game shows, hairy chest contest, and deck parties were all fun.

Stage shows are just ok. I not sure if I've just seen them all or if the performances are getting worse. The comedian selections could be better. Their resumes read well but the shows aren't as great as they appear on paper.

Amber Palace Main Lounge

the lip sync contest is always good because you never see the same act no matter how many times you cruise.

Carnival SeasideTheater

Great selection of movies aired. The popcorn could be better (offer salt & butter).

My teen enjoys the clubs as long as there are other kids in attendance. She rates O2 based on who is there not what activities are offered. Most teens just want to have a place to sit around and talk and the teen club offers that.

Club O2

My teen rating is based on the number of kids in attendance, not the activities Carnival offers. When there are minimal kids of the ship, she is bored and hates it. However, when there are lots of kids, she has the time of her life.

Although we had problems and had to go to guest services a few times. They did an exceptional job resolving our problems. Overall everyone was friendly and helpful despite the long/hardworking hours.

The ship's layout and design was fine. I've enjoy having the sitting area on deck 5 where you can sit and read, play cards or people watch. This was also the area where we would sit and have a few pieces of sushi before dinned This entire area has been removed on the new ships.

Cabin is the same. However, the amenities have decreased. You no longer receive toiletries in the bathrooms. Robes have been removed from the rooms. I've found out towards the end of the cruise that you must request a robe. The soap consistency is thinner than it was in years past and it takes longer to lather up.

Ship tip

If you are an experienced cruiser be prepared to see a decline in overall service. Many of the perks that were once available as part of the cruise have now been eliminated altogether or there is an additional charge. However, if you are a first time cruiser you probably won't notice the difference.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida Did not visit port

I live in Florida and visit Miami often so there was no need to do an excursion

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

Most of the ports have the same shops/stores especially if the port if secluded from the City center. Carnival creates many of these areas therefore they seem commercialized.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Didn't do an excursion because I've visited St. Thomas numerous times.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

This was my first time visiting Puerto Rico. I was expecting to see devastation due to the hurricane, but surprisingly things were up and running. It was good to pull directly into the city and go out on an excursion. We were able to take a tour of the City.

Grand Turk Island

Nothing to do here other than lay on the beach or drink. Carnival has however built the standard shopping area I have come to expect when visiting secluded ports.

Disembarkation

Disembarkation was awful. Normally, we disembark as soon as the ship pulls in (Platinum guest). However, we decided to sleep in, eat breakfast in the dining room before disembarking. This was a huge mistake. We slept till 8:30am, ate breakfast in the dining room until 10am then went to our rooms got our luggage and proceeded to the elevators. Everyone was backed up and no one could move so we had to stand in the hall for an hour before we began to move. I was told by a Carnival representative there was a problem in customs that held the line.