Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A wedding experience that was less than expected

Sail Date: January 16, 2016

• We were recently married aboard Carnival Glory.  If you choose to do this, I would like to offer a few suggestions. First, read your contract carefully. The ceremony, the food, the flowers were all as explained. The wedding planner was late to meet us and we were almost all checked in when she arrived. She was very pleasant and helpful.  There were a total of 19 of us and we were all sailing except for one guest. I had ample time to get ready and they had two cabins ready for us. We used our own officiant for the ceremony. We made a CD for our music for the reception. The DJ could not play it, so two of our guests went back to our room to get a back up CD which worked fine. We later tried that CD and it worked as well so this caused two of our guests to miss some of the reception. Six songs were played from our CD along with three songs the DJ played while waiting. That was it. There was no way the reception lasted an hour as expected since the length of songs did not come near to 60 minutes. But, an hour certainly is not long enough, so I would go with the longer celebration option. The food and cake was amazing. Everything was decorated beautifully.  Overall, we were pleased with Carnival's planning. The wedding coordinator graciously tried to make plates of food for me. Now, the bad news. The photographer came to my room and stayed after my guests left. The wedding coordinator was knocking on the door to get me and he insisted on taking additional [photos and videos. He was VERY intrusive, yet I blame myself for not telling him to just get out. I was late to my own wedding because of him.  During the ceremony a bright light bar was placed between us which made it impossible for our guests to get pictures of the ceremony. He apparently was making a video with this. After the reception the photographer grabbed us for again more photos. When we were getting tired of it he would just want to do a few more.  I understand this is the case in many weddings, but our reception only lasted one hour, and I wanted to see our family. Looking back, I wish I would have been more assertive and told him to let us alone.

Now comes the time to look at all these photos. He sits us in front of a video he made, and bound wedding album for the, as Carnival stated, "reasonably priced photo package" of $3,000. That was not reasonable. Not even close. We paid for 19 people to attend our wedding cruise.  This was our second marriage, I am in my late 50's. A few nice pictures was all we wanted. We had no opportunity to really explain this to him. The 8X10' were $30. Having the wedding on the ship, I would have thought the pictures would be at least the price offered for the normal pictures taken on the ship.

My suggestions to Carnival and others thinking of getting married on a ship- Have a correspondence opportunity with your photographer and the couple getting married so expectations are understood. Understand the brief reception and have someone keep the time so that you are not cheated of time. Bring a back up CD to the reception. Tell the photographer "No" when he becomes intrusive on your special day.

On this cruise our ship had someone airlifted due to illness, we were rerouted, did our excursions in reverse. Then hit a hurricane and had rain daily. Everyone on the ship, including the crew were throwing up everywhere. The final at sea day the ship lost electricity and our toilets overflowed and did not work for hours.  But, we had great excursions, including an amazing 2 tank dive and a swim through a cave. The food aboard the Glory was exceptional!  We ate at the Steakhouse the last night and it was far beyond our expectations.  Arriving in Miami after a trying but interesting trip, we headed to the northeast to all airports closed due to a historic snowstorm!  Yes, we are still together, and laughing about it. It may be awhile though until I cruise again!