Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Good, not great cruise.

Sail Date: July 16, 2012

Overall, it was a good vacation. Before this cruise, the last time I cruised with Carnival was 2001. I do feel that their quality has decreased slightly, and nickel and dime customers a little too much. Biggest example - they no longer have a cocktail hour for returning Carnival Cruisers. Instead, I got a coupon for a free drink. BUT - I could only redeem it at breakfast, brunch or lunch and ONLY in the Main Dining Room. On the last day, it took me AN HOUR to track down my free drink. VERY frustrating. What's the difference when and where I get my drink???

The lines at the Main Dining Room at dinner were ridiculous. We chose \"Anytime Dining\" which sounded like the most ideal option. NO. You had to wait on a long lime to get a buzzer, then go to the Lobby and wait for the buzzer to buzz, then get back on a shorter line to give the hostess the buzzer, and then wait in the vestibule (and be in everyone's way) until the other hostess could bring you to your table. A little crazy, and unorganized.

We weren't looking for this vacation to break the bank. We had a budget in mind, and we stuck to it. Carnival is a good option for a family with kids, or a couple looking to celebrate a milestone on a budget.

Pros: Peggy's Cove in Halifax

Cons: inside cabin\, lines for Anytime Dining

Recommends Carnival Glory? Yes!

Boat was big enough\, layout was good. Always clean. We hung out mostly at the adult-only sections. All together\, there were 4 adult-only hot tubs and 1 pool (which was right next to the 24 hr pizza - not good planning). The lounge chairs in the Serenity section has nice cushions and there were also a few double wide hammocks. Very comfy. And the no-kid rule was enforced!
Dining Room quality of food was excellent. I asked for 2 appetizers and was never a problem (wanted fruit and a salad). One night\, however\, dinner took 3 hours. I was getting antsy while waiting for 45 minutes for my husband's capucino to show up. The wait staff only did a little show on the last night (they sang \"Leaving on a Jet Plane\"). Red Sail restaurant was the only other place we ate at. We went there on the Elegant Night\, and it was empty. We had our private dining room! Breakfast at Red Sail was just okay. I don't think the scrambled eggs were actual eggs. Too powdery and buttery and oliy. Not many other options. The staff at Red Sail did not clear tables frequenlty enough\, so at busy times it was hard to find a table to sit at. I also didn't think it was very classy to have 2 guys walking around selling shots in the Main Dining Room.
It is not worth trying to save a little $$ and stay in an inside cabin. No natural light plus no clock = annoying. You wake up in the middle of the night\, and don't know if it's 3am or 10am. Knowing what time it is in the dark cabin is a 6 step process. Plenty of closet space. Housekeeping did a good job.
Never came back to the room to find them in there - either in the morning or for turndown service. Our room was right next to the Housekeeping room. Got woken up every morning (early!!) by them setting up their carts. All the clinking\, it was hard to go back to sleep. Ask for a room away from the elevator AND the housekeeping room.
I didn't think the room had a hairdryer in it\, but finally found it on the last day... no help to me.
Staff was nice. Never really asked waiters\, other help services to do anything \"above and beyond\"\, so can't say anything about that. The Cruise Director Josh (Big Sexy) and Assistant CD Just Plain Pete were very entertaining. \"Jayonce\" - a little much. Seeing him do his choreographed dance to \"Put a Ring On It\" was a little much after the 3rd time.
Nighttime shows were very good. They were very talented. The two comedians on the boat (Marc Theobold and Jamie something) were very funny. Sometimes\, it took real planning to make sure we were able to get to every show. On the last day at sea\, it was actually very chilly to hang out on the lido deck. There was a few hours in the afternoon I actually felt a little bored because there wasn't a good activity to go to.