Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Good, but some disappointments

Sail Date: May 15, 2012

The Glory is still a nice ship. It's large and still impressive, although starting to show some signs of wear here and there.

As with all Carnival ships, they cram a lot of people on board giving the cruise a more crowded feel and resulting in some time waiting in lines here and there. It's also loud A LOT with blaring music almost all over the ship. It's difficult to get away from the noise and find a tranquil place to relax outside of your cabin. This, for me, is one of the biggest cons to the Carnival ships. That said, they are the "FUN" ships and are known for being more party oriented, so this is to be expected to an extent. I just think that my husband (49) and I (38) are starting to outgrow the Carnival line a little bit as some peace and quiet now and again are becoming more of a desire for us. Hearing the news blaring on the big screen TV up on the Lido deck during morning breakfast is not something I desire either. Getting away from all, to include not having to listen to all of the woes in the world, is part of the reason I vacation, but that might be something others would enjoy.

Pros: Food

Cons: Entertainment - Lot of the same as last time

Recommends Carnival Glory? Yes!

Quality is good, but it is getting older. I like the layout of the ship and it's pretty easy to get around, except for the deck with the Golden Restaurant. They've got that one so it takes up the whole width of the ship, so you've got to go up or down a level or two to make your way across the ship.

The keep it pretty clean overall and, unlike the last time I was on this ship, they did a better job of ensuring tables up on the lido deck were cleared faster.

All the public restrooms were clean barring one off the back adult only deck that goes to the Red Sail Restaurant. Looks like the toilets are in need of serious scouring or replacement in that restroom.

Overall decor is just okay for me.
Best in the main dining halls, of course. Carnival's selection is good and the food is very good as well. Try the Chocolate Melting Cake for dessert in the main dining hall. The Red Sail Restaurant offers buffets for all meals and there's quite a lot to choose from. The lines, especially while in port when they close down at least 2 of the buffets, are annoying though. I've often thought they could split up the buffets a little bit more so that you don't have to wait in a long, slow moving line for one or two items. Having to specifically ask for something like bacon is a little irritating and holds up the lines as well. They offer pizza any time at one of the other locations on the ship, which is a definite plus. Not the best, but it hits the spot. They also have several ice cream/frozen yogurt machines on the Lido deck, which is a nice plus. Room svc arrived in 15 min vs the 45 it took last cruise. Although, it does seem that their room svc menu is more limited than it was years ago.
We were in an interior cabin, which is what I usually choose on ships since I don't spend much time in the room anyway. Most Carnival cabins are small and this was no different, but they meet my needs. I was happy the drain in my shower was working better this trip than the last. The stewards were great and who doesn't love the towel animals they leave for you?
This is where the word "disappointment" comes in within my title. I've been on the Glory several times now, the last of which was back in Oct 2010. On this cruise (May 2012) a year and half later, the big show entertainment on the ship was still the same. When I say "big shows," I'm referring to those in the main theater. After a year and a half, you'd think they'd have new material. I'm sure I'm not the only one who might cruise once a year or once every couple of years, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that would want some different shows. They did change the entertainment in the atrium and the piano bar, however. Unfortunately though, neither was as good as the entertainers that were in the atrium and piano bar the last time we were on the ship. Hence, some added disappointment.
Service good. Waiters and waitresses in the dining halls use your name whenever possible when they speak with you. It's plain to see that the staff work their butts off as is typical of most ships. It was also nice to see that they did a better job of keeping the tables clear this time around, most especially up on the Lido deck.