Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Voyage of the Damned

Sail Date: August 27, 2011

We recently sailed the Carnival Glory out of New York City bound for New England. Unfortunately Hurricane Irene was hitting NYC the day we left. In my opinion Carnival should have offered us the option to cancel or reschedule, but they refused when I asked if I could cancel and reschedule for a later date. The captain in his efforts to get out of port and get ahead of the impending storm went so fast that my wife and almost everyone we talked to got very seasick. Including the nurse that had to give my wife a shot for the nausea. Hence the title of this review. We also missed docking in St John, one of the two ports in Canada that we were supposed to go to. No one ever really explained why we could go to Halifax and not St John. That seemed to be the theme for the entire voyage; no one explained anything to us. It seemed that no one was running the show so to speak. The dining service both in the main dining room and the buffets was unorganized and poorly run. On other cruise lines I have been on there was always a ships officer overseeing the buffet lines and service. Not on the Carnival Glory.
There was a line so long at the Mongolian Wok buffet that I never was able to try it. If it was so popular, why would they not open a second one for people to eat at. The food was mediocre at best. I have never see hamburgers as a choice in a dining room for dinner on a cruise ship. I saw only a very cheap class of entrees. Bar service was ok, but if you dont want small children sitting on the bar stool next to you while you try to enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail, then skip Carnival. This happened every night with the parents right there. Also the Carnival Glory had an adults-only Serenity area on the upper deck forward. However the staff never said anything to parents that were seemingly oblivious to the sign that said adults only.
They have wireless internet service on board but they charge you by the minute! Can you believe it? That was ok when internet service was dial-up. In addition they tell you that satellite internet is considerably slower than the high speed internet you were used to on land. Yet they charge $1.75 per minute or $1.49 per minute if you buy 60 minutes in advance. During Hurricane Irene it was very important for passengers to keep in touch with what was happening at home, yet Carnival insisted on charging by the minute for internet access instead of giving complementary service so people could keep in touch with relatives and friends back home.
I have been on many cruises going back many years and I have never had a worse time than on the Carnival Glory.

Pros: Boarding a cruise in NYC was convenient

Cons: Crowded, noisy, and poorly run cruise

Recommends Carnival Glory? No.

Very poorly prepared dishes, and very long buffet lines. The only decnet meal was in the Emerald Steakhouse which costs $30 per person extra.
Very small stateroom. No sliding door out to balcony, just a door that opens out. Bed was like sleeping on a stone slab.
Staff was indifferent. They seemed to be constantly overwhelmed and unable to concertrate on taking care of the guests
Shows were ok and they had a few good comedians,
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nice seaport town, nothing remarkable though.