Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Overall, a nice cruise

Sail Date: June 01, 2011

All cruise ships are basically the same and I'd say the Glory is actually a bit easier than others I've cruised before to find, access and remember public areas. One minor gripe is I found the Glory to be a bit limited in outdoor choices. There's open decks on either side of deck 3 (it was mostly roped of and being painted when I spent time there) and the wide-open deck 9 Lido. Above Lido all decks are open but small like the sports deck 10 around the stack for walking and small decks above it for basketball, volleyball and miniature gulf.

That said, there's no shortage of places on Lido to lay out in the sun and there's rarely a problem finding a place on deck to lay out in the shade.

My party found parts of the Glory to be very noisy relative to other ships we've sailed. Mostly I'm referring to engine noise and vibration. Our cabin was on the 2nd (Main) deck almost all the way aft. Cruising to the Bahamas wasn't too bad because the ship was cruising slowly, 12 knots or less. The 1st night returning to Norfolk we were going roughly 23 knots. The walls in our stateroom shook - there was nothing subtle about it - and the noise kept my companion up all night. We dined in the Platinum dining room on 3rd deck aft. At dinner you could feel and hear the engines though it wasn't as bad and I won't say it ruined dinner.

However, the noisiness didn't end there. The Platinum dining room magnified sounds like conversations at nearby tables. We had a loud table next to us which ruined meals when they were present because we couldn't carry on conversations at our table. One table nearby moved away from them mid-way through the cruise it was so bad.

This is a critical problem for my party because the highlight of cruising the Glory is the dining experience in the Platinum (or Golden) restaurants for dinner. My preference for dining was the casual buffets when I boarded the Glory; however, I ate breakfast at the buffet in the Red Sail (Lido deck) my first morning on-board and suffered a miserable meal. All my breakfasts after that and dinners were in the dining room.

Lunch is more flexible because the Glory offers a wide selection of places on the Lido deck to get good meals outside of the buffet line: a burrito bar, deli, pizza place (open 24 hours), Mongolian barbecue, fish and chips bar, and 2 grills (hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken fingers).

If you are going to cruise on the Glory I HIGHLY recommend getting a cabin forward of the aft elevators. I'd also recommend to berth higher than at least deck 4 though I think the key here is being forward of the engines.

This is my 2nd Carnival cruise and, like my 1st, the Glory's decor is loud and tacky. The Glory must feature the world's largest bad art collection. Granted, this is a minor complaint and a subject of some laughter from my group so I guess you could say it adds to the fun.

Some of the 'noise' I enjoyed. Most days a reggae played on Lido deck. A lot of people danced to the music and picked deck chairs nearby to listen to it. Elderly folks in my group found that 'noise' annoying so your experience may vary. There's a lot of similar small acts playing music throughout the ship like in the main lobby or near the casino. Most were very good and many in my group would seek out their favorite acts, particularly after dinner.

One feature I enjoyed was the huge 'jumbo-tron' TV on the Lido deck. We enjoyed movie nights.

More than any other cruise I've been on the maintenance crew were visible. Members of my party had trouble enjoying laying out on the 3rd deck because it was roped off for painting. 3 days in a row our cabins stank of some sort of paint or solvent that gave members of my party a headache. The smells gratefully disappeared at night.

Our Bahamas luded a day at Freeport. I HIGHLY recommend paying for a tour there. Nothing much to do on your own.

Pros: Dinner in the Platinum dining room

Cons: Ship noise, smells

Recommends Carnival Glory? Yes!

The sleep-depriving noise issue drives down this score because it almost ruined the cruise. If you can't sleep you're going to be miserable! However, the stateroom was of good size, in like-new condition (except the carpet which showed marginal wear), and exceptionally clean. The stewards are excellent and kept it spotless throughout the day. We all enjoyed the towel art that showed up on our bed each night. As mentioned before, our cabins had a strong chemical smell for 3 days.
The ship shines in cleanliness, including public restrooms which have disposable toilettes you can use on the door knobs to prevent spreading illness. The ship sparkles. However, as mentioned earlier, the decor is tacky and the layout is roughly on par with other ships.
Food is a mixed bag on the Glory. The dinners in the Platinum dining room were a highlight of our cruise. The menu choices are wider than previous cruises and rarely did my party of 8 find an item they ordered to be other than a gourmet delight. Presentation and service were outstanding. However, breakfast at the Lido buffet was a misery: cold food of marginal quality. Even the breakfast in the dining room was mixed. Orange juice is a watered-down horror. I switched to grapefruit juice. Pancakes/waffles are flavorless. Eggs are excellent in the dining room so I switched to omelets and was happy. For lunch I stuck to the bars: pizza, fish and chips, grill (ashore at Half Moon Cay), and deli. All are very good. The last full day at sea they offered a chocolate bar for lunch which is a treat. For some crazy reason they charge $1.50 for popcorn on movie nights.

In the evenings hours rotate/vary on these bars (except the 24-hour pizza bar) so they may not be open a particular night.
This is a problem on all cruises, particularly one like ours that had mostly sea days. Gary has a very extensive list of activities. However, how much are of interest like spa lectures, hairy chest contests, bingo, towel foldings, etc. will vary from person to person. Most members of my party didn't think much of the 2 Las Vegas style shows. In fairness, how do you put together a show for a diverse audience? I found the dance quality to be mixed but largely not so hot. The band and singers were outstanding. A magic act one night was pretty good though he flubbed one trick and there was some redundancy in his tricks. I wish the 2 comedians appeared at the Amber Palace theater because they were excellent (the adult shows are VERY raw) but the large comedy club overflows during their shows - we had to stand. Gary hosts many shows like battles of the genders and the game of love. You might not think these are much reading the daily event guide but they are the most memorable shows.
I can cite a couple of examples where the crew were less than cheerful but they are by far the exceptions. I found the crew offered help with a genuine smile. Our wait staff were outstanding and we gave them all a tip at the end of the cruise. Ditto the stewards maintaining our cabin. Gary, the cruise director, is beyond outstanding - he's amazing. Very, very entertaining at every event he appeared at and a highlight of the ship's entertainment. Like all cruises, the crew is from all over the world. We found many of the crew enjoyed us expressing an interest in their cultures so we talked extensively with many of them.