Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

All in all a great cruise for the money!

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

This was my very first cruise as a single mom with 3 kids travelling along. I was a bit apprehensive prior about travelling alone with kids, but that soon went out the door after boarding. Boarding and exiting we had no problems at all, it went quickly and smoothly for both. I have heard some horror stories in regards to it, but luckily ours went without a hitch.
Our luggage arrived quickly to our room which was an oceanview family stateroom on the Spa Deck. I had paid for a guaranteed oceanview (bought the cruise in Jan/Feb 07 and sailed Aug 07) which means that I could end up with any room in the oceanview category. Luckily, I was upgraded to the highest possible room in that category. If travelling with kids, I would highly recommend the Spa Deck rooms. The deck, which is the highest one on the Glory with rooms, is quiet, roomy and has one heck of a view with the outer wall being ALL window. I know that people say they don't spend a lot of time in the room, but as parents, we know that travelling with kids can lead to unexpected events. I did spend a great deal of time in the room having a young 6 year old that got tired from all the fun and I had absolutely no qualms about spending time there. Lots of room with the king size bed that would easily fit 3, the couch that doubles as a bed, and the bunk that comes out of the ceiling. All were extremely comfortable and I had no complaints from the kids.
The ladies that cleaned our room everyday were so nice. They made us feel like this was our home even though we would only be there for week and always went above and beyond the call of duty..... My 6 year old became especially attached to one of them. She loved it when she was shown how to make the towel animals every night and left the extra chocolates for her. I don't think she will ever forget that......
The only complaint that I do have would be the change in itinerary due to hurricane Dean. Dean hit about a week before departure therefore Costa Maya and Belize City were taken off the trip and were replaced by Key West and Progreso Mexico. Key West, in my opinion, is more of an adult nightlife type of place. We, as a family, did not enjoy that stop and found it to be rather boring. There was not a beach near that we knew of. Just shops etc at we were happy to leave there and head for Cozumel.
Cozumel was enjoyed by all! The shops at port were cool, very colorful! People were friendly. There was a resort nearby (just a stones throw from port, cannot remember the name but it would be to the left when you come into port and has blue umbrellas) that allowed us to use their facility and beach all day for a mere $10 each. The beach was lovely and the staff was friendly. They had a pool, a white sandy beach with plenty of seating and umbrella's, ocean access for the kids to snorkel and great food. I would recommend the nachos there too! The color of the water was amazing! This was my first trip to the Carribean and I was in awe of the color. All in all we gave Cozumel a thumbs up all around.
Our next stop was Progreso Mexico. If you can avoid this place, I definately would. Nothing against the locals at all. The people were especially friendly. But this is not a vacation port. I believe it is relatively new on the itinerary so they are struggling to become more "touristy"....but this place was a very big disappointment from a vacationing standpoint. If a more traditional and authentic Mexican way of living is what you desire, then this place is for you. I realize that there are worse off places, but I was appaled by the conditions. The ship docks about 3 miles off shore and you take a very bumpy bus ride down a road that is extemely poor in condition. The town is quite dirty and not much to do around there except shop at a little market. I would never pay to go there on purpose. I would recomend the town $2 bus tour as my kids were able to see how others live and how lucky they are. Nassau was great.

Pros: The friendly service we received and the cleanliness of the ship

Cons: The fact our itinerary changed due to hurricane Dean

Recommends Carnival Glory? Yes!