All my points = Free 7 Days with the family

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Freedom

7 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)

Sail date: May 20, 2017

Ship: Carnival Freedom

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 6434

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

Taking a cruise is something I have never really considered. I definitely appreciate "genuine" experiences more than heavily produced and scheduled ones. I have always considered a cruise the epitome of not having any control and being spoon fed (lots and lots of feeding) the experience.

Overall, It was a positive experience.

I have a 2 and a 5 year old, if you were to ask them- this was the best vacation in the world. If you look at it from that perspective, it was a total success. The kids club is great, the people are nice, the kids do high quality crafts and activities. It's really A+.

From a parent perspective, it was tough. My little guy wakes up at 5:00 and they don't really serve a hot breakfast until 7:00 (but you can order room service continental stuff) Chasing 2 kids around a ship is exhausting. I will leave it there.

As for us. We were able to have some quality time, but not nearly enough. The schedule made sure that there was always something to be doing, but sometimes, that's not what you need.

I probably wouldn't cruise again, but this was a good experience. Definitely worth doing once and particularly if you have enough United Mileage Plus points to do it for free.

Ship experiences

Food was B+ but the staff was A++

Tommy Drake and Cowboy Bill were fantastic. Great clean and blue comedy and positive messages.

Our dining staff Danny was awesome and always had the table set with the kids things they had left behind, the wine cold, and tried his best to keep the kids happy.

Ida and Ramon our room staff were literally amazing. They knew my whole families name by the end of the first day. They went over and above at every turn to make our cabin tidy (I like tidy in cramped conditions) and they just generally made our cabin area feel like "home" as they were always around the area and checking on the boys who were always excited to see them. They were stars and they deserve to be recognized. I have extremely high service standards and they surpassed them. Way to go Ida and Ramon!

Ship tip

There is a bathroom by the Habana Bar that is never, ever in use.

Ports of call