Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

A Great Ship. A wonderful vacation!

Sail Date: March 01, 2013

Ship was very clean. Staff was eager to please. Dining was the best on any Carnival ship I have been on. Carnival last minute canceled our stop in Grand Turk because of norovirus at the port so we had to go to Freeport instead. The problem was we docked at a shipping port on the other side of the island. Everyone who wanted to go to the beaches or casino or shopping had to take a cab 12 miles. There really wasn't enough time in port to get there and back and people were actually late arriving back in the port to depart. We just hung out at Senor Frogs and had a great time at the port. There is a small straw market there with the same stuff as every straw market in the Bahamas. Dominican Republic was just okay. The excursion we took was to a resort and beach with lunch and drinks included. Drinks were plentiful\, water and sun were wonderful\, but the lunch buffet was inedible. Not the cruise line's fault. Curacao was our favorite stop. I wish the ship arrived here in the morning. We took an excursion to the beach and by the time we got back at 6:30 pm\, all the shops were closed. Had a great dinner at La Bahia right on the water. I was not as enchanted with Aruba as I thought I would be. Our excursion was a tour of the island and then supposed to be 1-1/2 hours at the beach. By the time the tour was finished\, we had less than an hour at the beach. Very sad. The driver dropped us in the shopping area and had a great lunch at Iguana Joe's and shopped for awhile before boarding the ship. Ship was very comfortable. Our wait staff at dinner were the best I have had on a Carnival ship.

Pros: Curacao

Cons: Freeport

Recommends Carnival Freedom? Yes!

Although the ship is six years old\, it didn't seem so. I read reviews about the decor being gaudy but I didn't feel it. Everything looked very clean and modern. Once you figured out the layout\, getting around was pretty easy.
The food was the best I have had on a Carnival ship. The wait staff was wonderful. There was less than a 5 minute wait to get into the dining room at our assigned time. Dinner was a little slow\, making it difficult to get to the shows on time\, but we managed.
Our aft balcony was wonderful. The room steward kept it very clean and made the best towel animals I have seen from Carnival!
The shows were good. The comedians were hysterical. There is never a time you would run out of things to do or see. We loved the piano bar. The casino was spacious but we didn't have any luck whatsoever. There seems to be a little bit of an issue with smoke hovering in the casino and the bar surrounding it. Don't know if this is a ventilation problem or just too many people smoking.