Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Overall a very nice experience

Sail Date: September 06, 2014

This was my 22nd cruise. I am a 45 year old divorced female, and traveled alone. I chose Carnival due to the reduced rate specials they periodically run for solo travelers. To give you perspective on my review, my favorite line is Princess for food and service, NCL for entertainment and Holland for rooms. Traveling alone this trip it was either NCL or Carnival and NCL was almost double with their solo cabins, so I went with the Freedom. Did 8 nights, and loved the length!! I was pleasantly surprised with the taste of the food, as I remembered Carnival food not being so good. Had very very good lobster, and many very tasty fish dishes. I was trying to eat healthy, and infact lost weight on the cruise (on purpose) because I am on a strict diet and was working hard to stay on track while traveling. I found the service to be good in the dining room, and cabins. I thought the casino staff was friendly. The shops were ok. The ship didn't seem terribly full, so I was able to find space when I wanted it. I didn't like the repetition of activity and entertainment; too much trivia with the staff, too much of the "karen carpenter" duo etc. All good on their own, even twice, but it was much the same people just moved around. Also I didn't like that there wasn't more structure around their "get togethers" from single mingles to LGTB. I am an LGTB ally and was traveling alone, so was looking to meet some people to befriend, and I found that hard to do as a non-drinker on this cruise. I was seated at dinner with other single travelers, which was nice. But we were at a huge table for 10 and there were 4 of us. Noticed this at several places in the dining room. My impression of Carnival went up, as a result of this trip. Would just prefer not to sail them as a solo next time.

Had to fight with customer service desk to convince them that there was a metal against a metal sound outside my cabin. They told me I was hearing water......
Aya in the Viennese cafe / coffee bar was the sweetest@@@@
need more variety
Had a terrible noise outside!!!!! Didn't sleep at all my first night and then was moved all the way forward to a cabin on deck 6 that was much smaller. I was so disappointed as I lost my couch and the room was just not laid out well.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
One of my favorite ports in the Eastern Caribbean.
Antigua, West Indies
Don't follow a vendor from the market. They say they are taking you to the TSHirt factory. Let me save you money.... don't go. If they won't work a price on the shirt you want to buy from their booth, move on. Don't let them put it in a bag and walk you to the "factory". I was basically taken for 3 shirts!!! And I thought I was saavy....
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Have been here many times, so I stayed on the ship in the sanctuary
Had conch salad at a local restaurant

Nice salad and vegetable options available through room service!!